Mantis Keeping

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im thinking that next summer I will build a big mesh cage with a PVC pipe frame and keep a couple mantid eggsacks in it. When they hatch, I would raise them on some sort of cricket (or whatever you guys reccomend) and probably eventually release them into flower gardens around here, and maybe keep a few for myself. I got an eggsack this year and it hatched about 200 common mantids into a little jar that I opened up into the gardens. I saw only one grown up but it was a thrill as I only see mantids every 3 years around here.

I know we have one guy around here that looks like he keeps a ton of mantids.

Anybody else have any ideas/comments/questions about my plan?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't worry about giving them a real elaborate set-up, mine only hangs upside down from the lid...unless it is chasing dinner

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Several years ago, I purchased three oothecas and released all of the babies when they hatched. I released them into different locations in my yard, and since then I have had a huge population of mantids. In the fall I have so many that I see them sitting all over the window screens at night. I am not sure what species they are, but they grow to enormous sizes. The females are monsters!I love them! Do you have any type of mature butterfly bush? This bush seems to be my mantids favorite place to sit, very vertical and the food (butterflies) comes right to them. You may consider buying one of these bushes and releasing the mantids into it. Watch out for overcrowding and cannibalism, though. I think that you should give it a try.

Aubrey

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Or maybe fill a cage with a bush, some butterflies (crickets) and some mantids:)

lol. Im probly gonna design my cage in a bit. Im thinking maybe the size of a classic 20 gallon. I think that should be sufficient for a hundred baby mantids. I might make this a little thread in the upcoming months for those of you interested. A step by Step guide to doing it yourself if it goes well:?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Chinese mantid nymphs (most likley the one you have) will canibalize each other heavily. In a really big cage (much bigger than a 20 gallon) with lots of plants, you might be able to raise a few to adulthood. Your best bet is to hatch them out in the spring, release most of them immediately and just keep ten or so and raise them individually.

Wade

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
about 3weeks prior to getting them, get some wax worms and have them mature into moths. my mantid loved moths :(

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I know we have one guy around here that looks like he keeps a ton of mantids.

Anybody else have any ideas/comments/questions about my plan?
i wonder who he means:rolleyes:

but as said, young wil canibalize heavely! unless you can get some Hierodula or some Phyllocrania (these could be a bit expensive...) these can stay together till subadult! i feed my small ones fruitflies. later small crickets and waxworms.

this is a pic of an Hierodula

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im not going to worry about cannibalism. Im thinking it might thin out their numbers so I wont get stuck with 400 mantids.