mouse bigger than snake

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I ecided to move my 4 foot sorn snake up to adult mice. I got an adult mouse (frozen/thawed) and put it in the feeding container. The mouse is way to big for the snake. But the snake keeps trying to eat it.

What is the danger of my snake eating the mouse thats too big for it?

Will Hunting

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

This is what happens.

But seriously, how much bigger is the mouse in proportion to the snakes head? Usually, if it can fit it through the mouth it'll be fine.

...under most circumstances. xD

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dont think any thing bad could come of it
im sure it wont eat for a while but it'll be alright IMO

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try to stick with stuff that 1.5 times the thickest part of the snake. Just because it can do it if has to doesn't make it a good idea. Better 2 small prey items instead of one huge one.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh man. I hope my snake will be Ok:( . The mouse was an adult mouse. Im going to go check on her right now.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She downed the whole mouse. It left a bigger bump in her belly than the hoppers obviously. I read that if one prey size doesnt leave a bump then you have to move it to the next prey size. I have been feeding her 2 hoppers a week and they seemed too small.

She seems to be moving around fine.

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as the prey item isn't too much bigger (ie:3x thickest part of snake) and she isn't disturbed everything should be ok.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. Thanks. Next feeding im going to feed her way smaller prey than an adult mouse. But bigger than a hopper.

JohnEDove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If your corn is 4 ft it should be able to handle an adult mouse. I feed our 50 inch female breeder on small to medium rats
The worst that will happen is your snake will regurge if the prey is to big. That is if you are allowing the correct temps for digestion.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I ecided to move my 4 foot sorn snake up to adult mice. I got an adult mouse (frozen/thawed) and put it in the feeding container. The mouse is way to big for the snake. But the snake keeps trying to eat it.

What is the danger of my snake eating the mouse thats too big for it?
i say as long as the mouse is dead just let him try to eat the mouse.

the snake will NOt explode or nothing like what you see in that picture below.
that only happened because of the snake havin a curve body and the crocodile (whatever it was) having a straight body

as i said before if the mouse is dead let the snake try to its heart content. if the mouse is in there in the morning throw away.

Sometimes you have to feed snakes certain size animals who see if they are ready for a bigger size. thats how i do it.

but then again just for reference for boas (rainbow boa to be specific) can go up to one size bigger than a baby rat once it can eat 3 full grown mice...

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i say as long as the mouse is dead just let him try to eat the mouse.

the snake will NOt explode or nothing like what you see in that picture below.
that only happened because of the snake havin a curve body and the crocodile (whatever it was) having a straight body

as i said before if the mouse is dead let the snake try to its heart content. if the mouse is in there in the morning throw away.

Sometimes you have to feed snakes certain size animals who see if they are ready for a bigger size. thats how i do it.

but then again just for reference for boas (rainbow boa to be specific) can go up to one size bigger than a baby rat once it can eat 3 full grown mice...

She ate it and seems to be doing good.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If your corn is 4 ft it should be able to handle an adult mouse. I feed our 50 inch female breeder on small to medium rats
The worst that will happen is your snake will regurge if the prey is to big. That is if you are allowing the correct temps for digestion.
So i can start feeding her adult mice from now on?

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So i can start feeding her adult mice from now on?
It always depends on the snake. I have a 7 foot Spilotes pullatus that will only eat small rats when she should easily be able to eat larger. She will kill them but not eat them. I have a pair of 4 foot Spilotes that will eat anything that moves. My Elaphe mandarina are the same way. I've been keeping snakes over 20 years and I've never lost one because I gave it too small of prey items. Really, I see no reason to give the snake huge meals, just give it a couple of smaller prey items and be done.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It always depends on the snake. I have a 7 foot Spilotes pullatus that will only eat small rats when she should easily be able to eat larger. She will kill them but not eat them. I have a pair of 4 foot Spilotes that will eat anything that moves. My Elaphe mandarina are the same way. I've been keeping snakes over 20 years and I've never lost one because I gave it too small of prey items. Really, I see no reason to give the snake huge meals, just give it a couple of smaller prey items and be done.
Smaller prey items mean you have to spend more money.

one petco small rat is 4.99

3 mice from petco (one being 2.49) that comes out to 7.49 cents. definitely not worth it.

so you should fine a way to get it on the appropriate size food item

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Smaller prey items mean you have to spend more money.
Large rats are $4ea where I can buy mice for $1ea. The guy is talking about 2 hoppers vs 1 large mouse, should be a $1 difference at most, once a week. My B+W Tegu eats 2 large rats a week....I'd hate to see what you'd be paying for him. Sorry you pay those kind of prices man, don't buy from Petco(or whoever)! Buy frozen and have them shipped or something.

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I breed corn snakes and kings at 4ft they should be okay on adult mice
mine are a little larger and eat small to medium rats i wouldn't worry unless it can't swallow the food i have heard too large of a food item can possibly break there jaw but i haven't had that happen how long did it take for the snake to swallow the mouse my rule is if it takes longer than 15-20 minutes go smaller next time hope this helps

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to be safe, I will keep her on hoppers until she sheds a few more times.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hoppers for a 4' corn? wow. that's really small meals. heh yeah, you can give her small mice for sure, and adult mice without issue in most cases.