Underestimation of P. murinus...

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Well...my little one outgrew her jar after hitting just over 1". So I was moving her to her new one when it crawled on my hand. So I told my wife to put down the catch cup (doh!) and pick up the camera for a shot. That is when it jumped off my hand and onto the counter, under the toaster (doh! again) and behind the stove. I got lucky, though...after pulling out the stove it was right there all hunched up on the back. Whew. I debated doing this in the tub or somewhere other than the kitchen but thought for sure I could handle the move. DOH!

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the exact same thing happened with my obt and it went almost behind the stove but i managed to pop him in and the bathtub is a much better place thats where i do it to. did u ever notice how good ur obts eyesight is compared to ur other ts mine runs and i put the vial in front of it and it swerves around it without having to touch it to sense where it is

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I did notice that. Since I started this thread I assume I can go off topic a bit....
Last night when I was feeding, I started to put a cricket on the edge of my A. versicolor's jar. She's only about 1.5" I like to let the cricket walk in on it's own if I can. The little versi was two inches away from the cricket and the cricket was still on the edge of the jar and NOT on webbing when the versi shot up like lighting and snatched the cricket from my fingers! It was an accidental hand feeding I suppose...but if that is eyesight I'm very impressed.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i guess urs was part eysight part touch cause i read that most Ts can tell whats arounfdthem from vibrations like a ppit viper with its heat pits can see the world through heat.so i guess it new where the food was by sense of touch but taking it from ur hand was eyesight or plain luck. by the way this is my idea u may believe differently and all ideas seem possible.

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i read that tarantulas have chemical sensitive hairs so they no whats moving around them even from afar