Sad Announcement

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my Full Grown female A. Seemani isn't doing so well. Last night I noticed she was walking kinda funny. Today I checked her and she wasn't right at all. It was definitely DS. She was a T I bought off of craigslist. Her previous enclosure was super dirty and disgusting. I have a feeling it's a lingering ailment from her previous owner for which caused the DS. She is currently still alive but not moving except for a few little twitches here and there. She's in her ICU but doesn't seem to be experiencing any improvements.

So...what's the next step?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my Full Grown female A. Seemani isn't doing so well. Last night I noticed she was walking kinda funny. Today I checked her and she wasn't right at all. It was definitely DS. She was a T I bought off of craigslist. Her previous enclosure was super dirty and disgusting. I have a feeling it's a lingering ailment from her previous owner for which caused the DS. She is currently still alive but not moving except for a few little twitches here and there. She's in her ICU but doesn't seem to be experiencing any improvements.

So...what's the next step?
if shes allready in the ICU there is nothing else you can do but wait.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
should I be worried about it spreading to the other Ts? The A Seemanis tank is being sterilized right now. I also cleaned all around the area and the other enclosures. Also how common is this problem? Do we have anymore certainty on what causes it or how to prevent it?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lowering the temps as much as possible for long periods would help inhibit the growth of bacteria, if that is the cause of ds. I would lower temps to 60-65 for awhile.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lowering the temps as much as possible for long periods would help inhibit the growth of bacteria, if that is the cause of ds. I would lower temps to 60-65 for awhile.
who says bacteria is the cause of DS? I wouldnt lower the temps, that could harm your t's further.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if ds is bacterial it is also contagious. We don't really know the cause though. Try quarantining the spider and lowering temps like I said. I have heard it prolongs the life of the spider and gives it a better chance of fighting it off whether it be a bacterial, viral, or fungal.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if ds is bacterial it is also contagious. We don't really know the cause though. Try quarantining the spider and lowering temps like I said. I have heard it prolongs the life of the spider and gives it a better chance of fighting it off whether it be a bacterial, viral, or fungal.
who says it isnt paint fumes? Don't lower the temps, if anything it should be put into an ICU with slightly higher temps.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
who says bacteria is the cause of DS? I wouldnt lower the temps, that could harm your t's further.
that's why I stated "if that is the cause". I would do any means possible to fight an almost 100% fatal disease. Temp is the least of your problems if you've got a spider with ds.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
who says it isnt paint fumes? Don't lower the temps, if anything it should be put into an ICU with slightly higher temps.
And aid the growth of a possible bacteria? Many findings suggest that it's a bacterial disease.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe i've taken every precaution there is. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a hard time understanding your rationale.

The cause of DS is unknown.
So why would you reccomend treatment for a T when you dont even know the source of its problems?
I would go with whats trusted and put it in a classic ICU.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
An ICU would be the worst possible treatment for a t if ds is bacterial also; you've offered the perfect breeding grounds, temp, darkness, hydration, and humidity for the bacteria. Haven't you ever done a science fair project where you cultivate bacteria in your closet or something?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a hard time understanding your rationale.

The cause of DS is unknown.
So why would you reccomend treatment for a T when you dont even know the source of its problems?
I would go with whats trusted and put it in a classic ICU.
We need to try something else if an ICU hasn't helped the thousands of spiders that have passed to this ailment. And like I said, many findings suggest bacterial infection.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
from what I've heard DS is untreatable, and I doubt simply "prolonging" the growth of bacteria will cure DS.
again I really really really want you to show me proof that bacteria is the cause of DS.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Another one I know who has lost a lot of specimens has sent dead spiders and crickets to a institute (www.EXOMED.de) for examination. A rough summary of the results (was not easy to translate, especially the specialized terms):
Histology: a highgrade inflamed bowel with heavy "Proliferation" of inflame-cells, a starting necrosis. Almost no content in the bowel! In a histologic cut lots of big chopsticklike bacteria in the wall of the bowel. Sporadic "Microsporidien".

No sign for pesticide effect!
bowel and organs "intrazytoplasmatische Einschlüsse", virus suspicion!

55 of about 100 tarantulas who have been fed by these crickets are infected. Interestingly, different specimens showed a different course of this disease. Some showed shivers since a longer time, but could still catch prey (e.g. A. geniculata). Others (e.g. Avicularia spp.,Psalmopoeus spp.) died within a night without showing any signs of this disease.
Lesser problems with Brachypelma spp. as with e. g. Haplopelma or Aviculariinae spp.. Some specimens died within some days, other are still living. Some specimens seems to have recovered slightly.
In the final stage the movements of the spiders are totally out of control, they lose their balance and drop on the their back.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=17135

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080618164713AAFCwLQ
"There have been a few people on here that have posted the same problem with their tarantulas. It definitely seems to be seasonal in outbreak. If they can make it to a molt, it seems that some can survive it. But, you will have to drip feed it water and pretty much use forceps to hand crickets right to it..
Best of luck.."

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
THESE POSTS SUGGEST A BACTERIAL OR VIRAL CAUSE! SO LOWERING THE TEMPS IS AN UNDERSTANDABLE METHOD OF TREATMENT FOR A MISUNDERSTOOD DISEASE! And spiders have conquered it before also, it is just very very rare.

Last edited: