Help me keep this thing alive.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
OK, to me this looks like your average run of the mill praying mantis, but to the local kids that presented it to me as a peace offering to the mean old bug guy, it must be something nifty. It's about 3.5 inches long, and has some pretty odd habits with that head of it's. They fed it grass (heh) Which it surprisingly hasn't eaten yet ;) I'm assuming this like most mantids can eat crickets and whatnot... How long do they live, and how much longer would this one likely have? What kind of enclosure would it and others like it live in, since the kids seem bound to find me more 'interesting bugs for my collection'... And what's it's real name?

Bill

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's the introduced Chinese mantid, Tenodera aridifolia siniensis. Yes, crickets and other insects are the food. It is mature, so it may live a couple of months at best. They are highly aboreal, so a tall cage with branches and plants are desirable. I generally offer water through daily misting. High ventilation is a must. If it's a female, she will probably lay several ping-pong ball sized ootheca that will hatch in 30 days at room temperature.

Wade

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You lucky little freak! i`ve been looking for one of thoses for soooooooooo long!
Nice bug! Give me that mantid!
I said give it to me!:D

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't live long, but make great T food in the end..
It will weaken then die. Before it does, feed it to one of your spiders..

E

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tonight when I was going to get a pizza with my mom I seen one on the sidewalk and almost stepped on it.

Sam,

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
They don't live long, but make great T food in the end..
It will weaken then die. Before it does, feed it to one of your spiders..

E
After seeing the way this bad-boy handles crickets, I'd have to feed it to a T that's bigger than any of the ones I have.. My big para, and my big haplo are about the only two I'd even consider.

Seriously, it's amazing.. it can eat a large cricket in under three minutes, and not leave a scrap. It's got all the legs on one side eaten before the thing stops moving.

Bill

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine spends 99% of its time hanging upside down from the screen. He will take crickets but REALLY loves moths. You just have to remove the wings from the cage after dinner :)

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
After seeing the way this bad-boy handles crickets, I'd have to feed it to a T that's bigger than any of the ones I have.. My big para, and my big haplo are about the only two I'd even consider.

Seriously, it's amazing.. it can eat a large cricket in under three minutes, and not leave a scrap. It's got all the legs on one side eaten before the thing stops moving.

Bill
Or you can wait until it does die, then just drop its body in to your tarantula's tank. I've never had a tarantula that didn't eat freshly deceased meat.