Baby Egyptian Mantids!

Emily

Arachnopeon
Well, a while ago, I purchased an egyptian mantis and I noticed that she has molted three times since I purchased her. Well, it turns out that those molt things aren't molt things... they're egg cases! I was totally surprised when I found this out!! Three egg cases!! I am SO happy!

just one problem.. does anyone know how to take care of the babies? :?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chances are the oothecae are infertile. It is not very often people sell fertile female mantids without telling you. It is possible they are fertile if she was wildcaught as an adult. If they are fertile and hatch, care for them as you would the adult, except feed them small prey such as fruit flies, and mist them more frequently(once every other day with this species) I am assuming your egyptian mantid is Miomantis paykullii.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you are only too right code! when my miomantis hatched, they were to smaal, even for fruitflies! so i let one half eat the other half. they molted and then they did catch fruitflies.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have hatched several Miomantis paykullii oothecae, and found that although the nymphs are extremely small, they were still able to catch and eat D. melanogaster fruitflies.

Emily

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys! I believe that my female was wild caught. I bought mine from arachnomania and his egyptian mantis made an egg case too and it hatched.

Do the fruit flies have to be wingless? I don't see why they would but if they do then I will try to find a place that sells wingless fruit flies and start my own colony. If I can't find wingless fruit flies, can I use normal fruit flies or pinhead crickets?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used flightless fruitflies. they still have wings, but the wings do not work.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The mantids will have no problem with ordinaty fruit flies...the flightless ones are just easier on the keeper!

Wade