Roach pics

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm bored and I have some shots of my Orange Head Roaches so I figured I'd post them. I actually enjoy raising and watching these guys alot. Anybody got any to share?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No pictures, but I do have something to say about my roaches.. (B. Craniifer -- Death's Head roaches)

After an over heating incidient (For some reason, my tank goes from being a perfect 80 suddenly up to the upper 90s at random.) and the death of a few adults, I decided to do a clean up and fish out any extra deads I may have missed.

Well, I found some nymphs.. Quite a few, actually.

And, well, I discovered something. These roaches that aren't supposed to be able to climb glass or smooth plastic can actually climb it very easily as nymphs.

So now I'm freaking out that I may have a bunch of baby roaches running around my house.

Hopefully, since it's a new colony and they haven't reproduced much, none got away.

And hopefully, if any did, that rumor about them not being able to survive/breed in at 68 - 70 degrees holds true.

And hopefully, if they can, the coming fall/winter will drop the tempurature even lower and prevent it.

Ugh.

I taped up every single hole I drilled into the side of the enclosure and put tape around the holes in the top so that if anyone attempts to escape, they'll get stuck.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you have any hard water stains on the surfaces? Even light stains will offer enough for them to get a foothold.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
Do you have any hard water stains on the surfaces? Even light stains will offer enough for them to get a foothold.
Good point. Probably a good idea I decided to set up my roach bin in a brand new rubbermaid rough tote instead of recycling an old aquarium.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
If they climb glass they are not Blaberus babies. Have any Surinams accidentally get in the culture?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No, it's a sterlite plastic bin.

I was thinking it was just more because the sides aren't as smooth as glass.

I actually considered moving them to a glass aquarium, but I can't find the lid, so I'm too afraid of them possibly climbing up the corners.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
They should not climb plastic with any agility, even if it's a little rough. What color are the nymphs and are they shiny, half-shiny? How big are the smallest ones? The reason I mention Surinams is they commonly jump culture containers and if you got 1 (they are parthenogenic) in your original stock that might be what you're finding.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pretty sure they're all B. craniifer. I bought them from Roachman and never owned any other roaches.