A Close Call!! Almost Munched!!

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I housed a mature male Malaysian Dead Leaf mantis with an adult female. They cohabitated fine for a few days, then the female made an eggcase. Soon after I found the male in the clutches of the female!

Last edited:

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Almost Munched!

I got to him just in time! I pulled him out and he had this hole in his back from almost being eaten!!

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
What kind of Deroplatys is that ?
lobata,... dessicata or another specie ?

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I though the females killed the males durinmg the mating. In fact that the mating doesnt happen unless they've chewed the male's neck...

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Almost munched...

Deroplatys dessicata

Here's a pic of a mature female.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very nice mantis,..
i've got deroplatys lobata,... only differnce is the shape of the backshield,....
lobata's shields aren't that pointy:)

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
I though the females killed the males durinmg the mating. In fact that the mating doesnt happen unless they've chewed the male's neck...
I'd heard this as well... is this true for some species but not others or is it just a myth?

-Kelly

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It is a myth, the female certainly does not need to eat the male, and under natural conditions the male is rarely eaten. It happens much more often in captivity. If given plenty of room, the male usually avoids being attacked and or eaten. I have yet to lose a male when breeding mantids, but I usually have them mate outside of their enclosures, loose in the house.