Giant water bug????

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The scientific name is; Lethocerus americanus

Anyone know more info on this species?? They're quite interesting....

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i don't know if you allready knew this link but here goes:

japanese petstores selling giant waterbugs

scrolll all the way down and you'll see some awsome waterbugs eating goldfishes and beeing sold as pets in Japan,... enjoy the picts,... i found them just amazing :}

greetz

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are very cool, huge bugs. Very fun to keep, and can give a nasty bite.

Wade

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool.
And what was that Moth on that page?
It was Huge!

But wouldn't you know translating the page left out alot of words.
Including a species name....
Argh!

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Of course they're not sold anywhere in europe are they????

They are great!!!

:8o Coiuldnt mother nature spread a few huge bugs here in Greece??? :8o

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
They are very cool, huge bugs. Very fun to keep, and can give a nasty bite.
you speak out of own experience ;P ;)
i don't wanna get bit in my foot by one of those :D

Of course they're not sold anywhere in europe are they????
i've seen them offered at several insectfairs here in Belgium,.... next 2 weeks there are 2 insectfairs here,... i'll let you know which dealers have them :)

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
2 insectfairs in 2 weeks????:eek:

They're like 0 insectfairs in 99999999999999999 years here....

Why dont you get yourself a couple :}

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Why dont you get yourself a couple
hehehehe:D
i'm not into the watery stuff,..... yet =D

it's strange but al insectfairs here in belgium seem to be happening during the winter.

their plenty fairs but they all aren't that big,...
usually more dried bugs to be found there then alive ones,....

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its ok, get them and you can send them to me when we'll do that trading.... ;P

PS.
Fancy an Argiope Lobata eggsack??

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
PS.
Fancy an Argiope Lobata eggsack??

mmm,... now that we have our own Argyope species here in Belgium,... mm,.. no thanx :)

got my backyard full of Argyope B.'s

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Very cool.
And what was that Moth on that page?
It was Huge!

But wouldn't you know translating the page left out alot of words.
Including a species name....
Argh!
Yeah, that's what really caught my eye. I've seen two Prometheus moth caterpillars during my life, which I raised to maturity on oak leaves.And I occasionally see Luna moths around lights. But I'm much more interested in Cecropia moths (I like the red :) ). Unfortunately, I've only seen two ceropia moths in my lifeboth of which were already dead and being eaten by ants. I wish there was a place I could by giant silkworm caterpillars.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lethocerus americanus is the largest of the U.S. giant water bugs. Adults commonly reach 2-2.5”. There are other U.S. Lethocerus that can look similar from a distance (such as L. griseus, L. uhleri etc.). L. americanus, as with all belostomatids, are incredible predators that will seize prey larger than themselves, which commonly includes other aquatic invertebrates, fish, frogs, salamanders, and occasionally small snakes. Members of the genus Lethocerus will prey on invertebrates, but do prefer vertebrates (members of the genus Limnogeton are just the opposite, preferring small aquatic gastropods). Belostomatids are quite simple to house in captivity. Adults can be kept in a small to medium-sized container (2-5 gallons) with aquarium gravel as substrate. It is always important to have aquatic vegetation or objects that simulate aquatic vegetation for the giant water bugs to grasp while waiting to ambush prey. It is also good to have objects sticking out of the waters surface. Permanent enclosures for adult L. americanus should have a water depth of at least 6 inches. Always have a lid on the enclosure as belostomatids do fly (almost always nocturnally).

Alex S.

Last edited:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i love L.indicus, L.gigantea is also nice,too
do u know where i can order them online?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
"Lethocerus giganteus" is not an actual species. Perhaps you mean Lethocerus grandis, which is a large southeast Asian species, as is Lethocerus indicus (both would need to be wild collected). Giant water bugs are rarely offered among the live arthropod trade. Lethocerus americanus and some species of the genus Abedus and Belostoma are occasionally offered within the U.S. hobby.

Alex S.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
big puppies...i have three dead ones by my computer at work. They were sorta alive when i found them, but due to all the grease, oil, and chemicals all over and general untidiness, they died soon after. I'd say mine are around 2 1/4" long, maybe 2.5". They do look like they could give a nasty bite upon close examination...i've heard that before as well.

on a better note...i did save a lil green frog a few weeks ago (too dry, covered in dirt/dust, brownish gray lookin, washed it off in some cold water (no hot water around) quick as i could and it turned a bright green lol. Filthy frog! Let it go outside in the grass away from the warehouse...i guess it's still alive :D

how much are these giant waterbugs selling for?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
edesign said:
big puppies...i have three dead ones by my computer at work. They were sorta alive when i found them, but due to all the grease, oil, and chemicals all over and general untidiness, they died soon after. I'd say mine are around 2 1/4" long, maybe 2.5". They do look like they could give a nasty bite upon close examination...i've heard that before as well

Yes, most nepomorphs, including belostomatids can bite. Belostomatid and creeping water bug (Naucoridae) bites are probably the worst of the nepomorphs, usually causing redness, swelling, and soreness much more than your average spider bite or bee sting. Symptoms of bites from other nepomorphs, such as the backswimmers (Notonectidae), which I have been bitten by dozens of times, are more like a bee sting. Large giant water bugs can have rostrums ("beaks") up to 1/4" inch long. That would definetely be an unpleasent bite.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
yap i think i typed it wrong,isn't L.grandis from south america?

Lethocerus grandis is a southeast Asian species, commonly reaching 2.75" to 3" as adults. Lethocerus maximus is a huge species (4" to 4.5"), one of the larges belostomatids known, from South America; mainly Ecuador and other northwest regions.

Alex S.

Last edited:

AnimalGirl

Arachnopeon
Can anyone explain how to go about keeping one of these? I work at a pet store and someone found one and brought it in, wondering what it was. They thought it was ugly, and ended up pawning it off on me (I'll take anything!). Now I'm wondering if it's something I can keep or if I should just let it go.

If I do let it go, what's the best place for it? I live in a city! I don't know where these people found it!