scolopendra mistake

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I disturbed two hatiian centipedes with egg clusters, females seem to have abandoned the egg clusters and now I will be more careful.I assumed they were dead because they were not actively eating.These were wild caught from a reptile dealer.I welcome any comments. Cheers, Tom

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm sorry to hear that.
do u have any picture of them?
maybe they'll lay another cluster in the near future.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just had a S.Alternans lay a clutch of eggs and she held them for almost
2 weeks.Then she desided to eat them.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm...

Can centipede clutches be raised like T's? Could you make an incubator for the abandoned?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can centipede clutches be raised like T's? Could you make an incubator for the abandoned?
the answer is no, because unlike tarantulas' eggs, centipedes' eggs are expose and therefore they can get mold very easily. tarantulas' eggs are protect by their webs.
I think there are a few people that have already tried this and failed.

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My S.Alternans has a clutch right now...The key is to put them on a self in a dark room and let them be..........And just keep your fingers crossed.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've observed smaller centipedes return to collect a disturbed clutch after it seemed like they'd been abandoned. Haven't seen the larger species do it, nor have I heard or read of this happening. Maybe give it some time, overnight?, and carefully see if the mother has returned.

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hummmmmm I have never heard of the moms returning back to the clutch.......Im hoping I never have to see that if you know what I mean.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Not sure what you mean(although my imagination seems to know).

This is the second time I've witnessed this:

A couple of days ago during a hike I collected what I think is Scolocryptops hortensis. While trying very carefully to get the mother & eggs into a container, I disturbed the mother & she left her eggs. I recollected the mother & managed to get the eggs that had been left strewn about into a container. The majority of the eggs were separated at the time & the mother had holed up in another part of the container. When I got home several hours later, she had collected all the separated eggs & was again wrapped around them, as I found her. This may not be the case for larger species. I honestly don't know.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've seen alot S.Alternans eat there clutches.I had 1 last weeks eat her clutch after 2 weeks.But I never had 1 abandon her clutch.Thats something
new for me.Pedes eggs need to be tended by the mother.If there not tended
thay have no chance to servive.Give her a little time and hopefully she will
pick them up again.

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
scolopendra eggs

One female has returned recently to underground burrow refusing food. will wait and see what happens in the next few months. Also eggs were reunited with female centipede.Cheers ,Tom

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When you didn't post again.I thought she didn't return and pick up her eggs.
Thanks for updating us with the good news.Have a great 4th of july.