flag tailed centipede breeding behavior...

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I was wondering, does anyone know how long does it take for these guys to court? I mean the duration.
and how they do it? because i think that i see one of mine sticking his or her face on the another one's end. i am not sure if this is a mating behavior or it something else.

thanks

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, here is an update...

I noticed this behavior about 1 hour ago and i waited a while before i start this thread.

anyway, they are still going at it. the difference now is that they are in a different position, i mean they are at a different location than before.
one of them still have its head between the other centipede terminal legs.

so base on my observation and the duration of this behavior, i believe that this is how they court. *fingers cross*

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most females tap with their antennas the males terminal legs for a long time, to stimulate the males so they can deposit a sperm web.

At least that what i have seen when i tried mating with some species i have

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a while back i remember seeing a video on youtube. someone recorded how their flag tailed centipede courtship works. It is similar to how I see it today. the female grab the sperm from the male's end, then insert it.
I went back searching for that video clip, but i had no luck.

the thing was that i didn't have the time to sit there and watch them.

the other thing that i notice was the centipede that was grabbing the sperm was smaller than the other centipede, and that centipede (with the sperm i guess) just stuck its head in the substrate not even doing anything.

so i am about 75% sure that they were mating, not 100%.

if i can find that video clip, then i'll post it.