Gutted - my little Scolopendra mirabilis died.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Came home, found it dead on top of his substate, the cricket i fed him last night was in there alive and well. Either a coincidence or the cricket killed him - either way, i am gutted. :? :confused: :(

He was a really cute little fella, and not aggressive at all.

Jonathan.Hui

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Came home, found it dead on top of his substate, the cricket i fed him last night was in there alive and well. Either a coincidence or the cricket killed him - either way, i am gutted. :? :confused: :(

He was a really cute little fella, and not aggressive at all.

I don't think the cricket can killed it ... :wall:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Crickets only kill them during a molt and you'd see some obvious bites taken out of the animal.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I mentioned the cricket because i have no other explanation... husbandry was seemingly ideal and it had been doing okay since i got it a month ago. Can't be anything environmental because all my other inverts (kept right next to this one) are all fine. Just sad and puzzled by this sudden loss.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Substrate too wet? Shame, it looks like it was a beauty!
I don't think so. It was damp rather than wet. I was actually thinking the opposite, that the substrate was perhaps a little dry... but i wasnt too concerned as humidity was good - with condensation on the inside of the enclosure.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a couple of asian pedes die for no apparent reason.But I had both of
them more than a year.One day thay ate and couple days later thay were dead.
I had pedes die before.But there was a reason for it.I was ready and waiting for them
to die.

Last edited:

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats too bad :(

I honestly think sometimes these things just happen. No rhyme or reason. Unfortunately it just goes with the territory where pet keeping is concerned.

It is a bummer though.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's wierd because pedes are so rugged looking, yet it would seem they are less hardy in fact than tarantulas. I've never had a T die for no reason, not even an Avic.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for you loss.

I hate to say it but it might just be "natural causes". One summer I was raising Cecropia caterpillars, I started with about 30 tiny specimens and despite being kept in the same terrarium, under the same conditions, only about 10 made it to adulthood. Just nature's way I guess.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I haven't lost a pede in a long time.But when it does happen.I always try to
figure out what I could have done to prevent it.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't lost a pede in a long time.But when it does happen.I always try to
figure out what I could have done to prevent it.
Hell yeah, me too. I'm one of those real anal types that hates not having answers to stuff that "just happens".

I have another small pede, same size, different species, that i just got at the weekend, i am not going to use the same type enclosure for this one, see if that makes a difference. I couldn't stand to lose another one so soon...

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
According to peterbourbon`s examinations, this species is not Scolopendra mirabilis... it seems to be either a new species or a variation of Scolopendra morsitans...

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a mortisans and it looks nothing like this miribilis - if that's what it is.

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please elaborate; what makes you so sure it isn't S. mirabilis and is S. morsitans? Based on what? Thanks.