Why do my Asian pedes always die?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK, any pede I get from Asia seems to die within a week of me having it. This includes pedes that the dealer has had in captivity for 6+ mmonths.

Now, I have also kept S. alternans "Haiti", and I have had no problems with them.

Just something about the Asian species, they drop dead within a week. They eat fine, have tons of moisture, but always seem to die.

Is there something simple I am overlooking? What is the BEST care sheet out there for S. s. deehani?

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya the same thing happened to me with my first pede (subspinipes). I ate maybe once or twice and died after two months of having it. Since then I've bought an E. trigo and a S. polymorpha and have had them for 6 months, they are both doing great. But I know for sure both of my live pedes were bred in captivity. Maybe a lot of asians are wild caught and that may have something to do with them dying so easily. I am new to pedes, but it may have something to do with that, but I am sure a more experienced keeper can give a full answer.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember hearing Asian WC inverts are notorious for internal parasites, could be wrong though.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, any pede I get from Asia seems to die within a week of me having it. This includes pedes that the dealer has had in captivity for 6+ mmonths.

Now, I have also kept S. alternans "Haiti", and I have had no problems with them.

Just something about the Asian species, they drop dead within a week. They eat fine, have tons of moisture, but always seem to die.

Is there something simple I am overlooking? What is the BEST care sheet out there for S. s. deehani?

Start with explaining how you keep them.Do you keep them the same as your other pedes? Explain in more detail please.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've only had a few but they have all lasted 1 to 3 years. I have one now that I've prob had a year. I have it in a 10 gal, a big rock in the middle, 3 coco fiber bricks(imo, don't need that much), covered top, 72 to 75 in that room, there is a stick on heater on the terr. Very wet in there with water dripping down the sides, pede looks very healthy ..might do a short vid later, very simple setup.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember hearing Asian WC inverts are notorious for internal parasites, could be wrong though.
Might be something to that... I know of a whole batch that died within a week of arrival despite what anyone would consider ideal care.

There must be something missing though, especially if the dealer had it for 6 months without problem. Examine every variable possible... ie. are you re-using the same substrate mix? what's your water source? perhaps the alternans are accustomed to something in the water that the Asian species aren't... :?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I ate maybe once or twice and died after two months of having it.
What did you have?? I hope it wasn't the swine flu.

I think many people have the misconception that the less the ventilation, the better, since less ventilation results in higher humidity. Less ventilation actually kills centipedes, IME. I keep all my centipedes in very well ventilated KK's with water dishes and a *slightly* damp substrate. That is it - there is no misting involved. The slight moisture in the substrate keeps the humidity in the tank moderate, but adequate, and the centipede gets all its required water from the water dish.