Help: Escaped Hatian Blue, 2 dogs in danger?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*Disclaimer I do not like or keep centipedes. They freak me out.
This is being relayed for a friend, really. If you don't believe me, we can have a good standing member who is local come check out my place. I have T's and Scorp's a gecko a frog and a couple of millies. That's all. So Please refrain from posting things like "your friend huh?" like last time I did this for someone. thanks, ryan*

So, a friend of mine has what was sold to him as Haitian Blue Centipede
by someone I trust to not mis-label. He doesn't remember scientific name though, and could be confused as to what name was originally given. He doesn't really care what they are since he isn't going to breed them. As long as they are neat looking and tear into feeders, he doesn't care.

But, it escaped.... He has a sick 50 LB dog and baby sits an older 40 lb dog.
Are these dogs in danger? They both like to play with small animals, and I am worried about them. My friend would be ok though right? Maybe a little sick? He is 175 lb adult M in late 30s in decent health but tough as nails.

I am going to go attempt to hunt for it later tonight or tomorrow, where would be some good places to start looking? Anyone have any light recomendations for hunting? I have red led, black light, or white to choose from right now. could these fluoresce?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and concern.
Sincerely, Ryan

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Well dark, moist, and warm would be your best bet, but honestly it wont take long for it to desiccate.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oops, just travis!

sorry, alexis replied to another thread. Thank you Travis! I appreciate it.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well dark, moist, and warm would be your best bet, but honestly it wont take long for it to desiccate.
Well, I found my 12 cm S. subsp subsp running over the floor in the kitchen after a month on the run, fatter and happier than ever. And we've only got like 50-60% moisture in the air. So one bathroom access or kitchen piping might just suffice.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep

Yeah, I think my friends place has enough humidity for an Avicularia sp. to live happily ever after in. Never mind the frogs, plant persperation, and there is plenty of food there. It could die from eating poisoned roach, it is in the city, although he doesn't use ANY chemicals except bleach to clean with, so it would have to come from neighbors yard.

So that leaves hunting. Question: Will the Pede try and stay low to the ground? Or will it run all over the place?

And anyone have any idea what a blue hatian pede will do to a 40 pound dog?

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, it is pretty large, I only saw it once, but I think it was 6"+.

Well, I found my 12 cm S. subsp subsp running over the floor in the kitchen after a month on the run, fatter and happier than ever. And we've only got like 50-60% moisture in the air. So one bathroom access or kitchen piping might just suffice.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
confirmed 3-4"

k, got em confused. This one is apparently 3"-4". And another example of why you should double, triple check your cages. :O) Thanks, Ryan

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That size & species(not sure, but maybe a larger Hemiscolopendra sp.) probably won't give you too much trouble, but it will still hurt. Same for the dogs IMO. Not saying that it will be pleasant unless you're a masochist, but nothing that a 'lil Benadryl & antibacterial can't handle, unless you're unlucky & allergic. I would imagine that the 'pede is in more danger from the dogs. To my knowledge, no centipede flouresces(but if you do find one, please tell us!). Happy hunting!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks

Hey Thanks! I don't know much about them, and I don't think my friend knows the difference between his species toxicity. And I will with the black light! I have a big one that can scarf down a set of batteries too quickly. :O) Ryan

That size & species(not sure, but maybe a larger Hemiscolopendra sp.) probably won't give you too much trouble, but it will still hurt. Same for the dogs IMO. Not saying that it will be pleasant unless you're a masochist, but nothing that a 'lil Benadryl & antibacterial can't handle, unless you're unlucky & allergic. I would imagine that the 'pede is in more danger from the dogs. To my knowledge, no centipede flouresces(but if you do find one, please tell us!). Happy hunting!

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

I'm sure I can't really help with good advice, but only write down my own experiences: I had a lot of pedes escape, even bigger ones - and I never ever saw them again.

I heard of cats beating centipedes down, hence I think there's no serious threat for dogs.

In my own experience I'd call centipedes rather defensive than aggressive.
Some pedes may cause serious allergic reaction, but usually only pain scale from itching to bone ache.

I wouldn't worry that much - searching for centipedes is wasted time (in my opinion). Either they appear randomly or not.
Just be thankful it's not a very venomous true spider like Loxosceles sp. or Phoneutria sp..

So: Don't worry. :)

Regards,
Turgut