surprise scolopendra alternans molt

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well this really is a surprise. This 'pede showed virtually no signs of pre-molt, no bloating, no extended headplate and it ate approximately 2 weeks ago. It's anus did appear to be extended somewhat but I thought it was in the very early stages of it's pre-molt cycle. Late last night I noticed that it appeared as if it's colors were muted, but I just thought it was because of poor lighting and my eyes playing tricks on me.

This morning I woke up to a 'pede that had just finished molting.

I'm not sure if it's grown much in length, but it appears to be thicker, especially in the legs.

Could it be that centipedes have two types of molt? One where they grow, characterized by a lengthy pre-molt / bloating etc. And a quicker one for full-grown specimens where they molt primarily for exo-skeletal maintenance? :?

Quick stats:
Species: Scolopendra Alternans
Previous molts: August 4th 2007, July 7th 2008
Latest molt: June 28th, 2009
Pre-molt size = approx. 24cm
Post-molt size = [?]

Pics:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, great pictures!!! and congratulation:clap: :clap: :clap:.

I would guess that the other molt would be to regenerate any damage.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That thing is around 24cm....
, it's bulky too! I have a couple CB young ones, hope they get that big. Yeah I think they keep molting, like female Ts, not so much for growth but like you said, to get a new exo because it's better, less worn out ...wish I could do that.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
What a monster! Looks like roughly an 11-month cycle in your molt. Do you know if this 'pede is Floridian or from the Caribbean?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome! 24cm is massive! :eek: Amazing animal you have there. None of my centipedes or spiders are any larger than 6" :rolleyes:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was wondering were it came from.I have S.Alternens from 3 different
locations.Yours don't look like mine.But I only seen 1 of them molt.So it's hard
to tell.My Florida S.A is my biggest and it's a little more than 21+ CM's.I caught
it myself in Marathon Key.

Last edited:

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pictures! I love the Alternans. Thanks for sharing. I too would like to know location specifics of your pede.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, thanks for the congrats and compliments on the pics.

I'm afraid I can't be of any help whatsoever in regards to this 'pede's history. I simply got a call one day from a friend that said "I just got a gigantea in my store, it's yours if you're interested." Turned out to be this guy. :p Aside from most likely coming from a European dealer, it's really a mystery.

Btw, he was lying sort of straight(ish) when I got home tonight and yep, it's easily 24cm, possibly a little more. :D

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's still a beautiful pede.I just hope you didn't pay Gigantea prices for her.
I wish you nothing but good luck with her.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope, I most certainly didn't pay a gigantea price for him :)
And thank you for the well-wishes!