FL millipede ID help needed

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
went collecting today by my house. i found a few of one of the species before when looking for moss for a terrairum i was making. this sparked my interest to go collect more!

they are really, really small. i think they are two different species. the pictures i took are bad but here they are anyway. these little things can move pretty quick and their small size doesn't help matters.

the first ones are long and slender. they are gray in color. i cannot really see the legs or anything....they are tiny. if i had to guess, i would say ivories. i collected these on the side of a plam tree where they were burrowed under some moss growing up the trunk. when i put them in the cup, they immediately burrowed in the substrate.

ive had these a little longer, although i did collect more today. they have no interested in cucumbers or lettuce so i put more leaves and twigs in their encloseure today. they are brown to tank in color with a light tan in between the segments. these seem to be flater than the ones above. the legs are the same color as the segment gaps. i found some on the trunk of the palm as well but collected most from a rotting tree trunk. these don't burrow too much. i have a ton of these. the shape makes me think a polydesmid sp.

any help is great and sorry for the crappy pics. they are fast. any tricks to slow them down? maybe some short time in the freezer?

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The two cylindrical ones are members of the family Parajulidae (order Julida). There are several genera and species in Florida.

The other one i a polydesmid from the family Paradoxsomatidae. If the millipede is black and the paranota/wings are more more yellowish and angled it's Asiomorpha coarctata. If the millipede is more dark brown and the paranota are more whitish and rounded it's Oxidus gracilis. Both species are introduced from Southeast-Asia.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the ID help Milli. the brown ones are for sure Oxidus gracilis.