Very strange centipede

dennisjnh

Arachnopeon
Over the last week I have seen two of these very strange but magnificient creatures. I live on the big island of Hawai'i. The centipede was about an inch long with an orangeish-brown body. However, the legs and head were a brilliant neon blue. I have heard these are more poisonous than normal centipedes. I have no prior experience with them so I'm just saying probably bastardized knowledge, but hey. Any thoughts?

dennisjnh

Arachnopeon
Not particularly. but this may be because the legs become duller as they mature? The ones I saw had cyan legs, a direct contrast to their orange bodies. The legs were the color of the question mark emoticon you see under reply boxes.

It also seems weird that I saw two of almost the exact same size in two places 20 miles apart. Do they have a set "mating season?" One was at a friends house in gravel we were clearing, the second was at the beach (rocky, dirt beach, not sand).

dennisjnh

Arachnopeon
Ah, I was reading more up on them. You were correct, sir. The adults are reddish-brown but the young have blue legs. Thanks for the help!

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah the memories! Wish I had been able to keep a few back when I lived on Oahu in the days of my youth. Alas, if I had tried, my mother surely would have killed me! LOL So unreasonable ... she would not even let me keep a cane spider or two. :}

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! That is a beautiful centipede! Are those available in the hobby? I want one! I would pay for one of those, very very nice....:worship:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hawaii isn't allowing export of their natives, which sucks because everyone I've ever talked to from Hawaii said that these are considered a pest. Looks like you'll have to smuggle it in your underwear:eek:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hawaii isn't allowing export of their natives, which sucks because everyone I've ever talked to from Hawaii said that these are considered a pest. Looks like you'll have to smuggle it in your underwear:eek:
Scolopendra are introduced invasives in Hawaii. They protect alien invasives? (Wouldn't be a shock, my state protects the European wall lizard.)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I didn't realize they were introduced. I should amend the "natives" statement & say that 'to my knowledge', Hawaii isn't allowing export of any fauna/flora not expressly raised for export. That is more of a blanket statement- the truth may be that under some circumstances/permits/red tape, some creatures may be removed, but I seriously doubt it would be for the purposes we seek. My state often lists the same species under one agency as "invasive", while they're "threatened" under another agency. I can only assume that Hawaii is prone to this sort of nonsense as well...

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a beautiful pede.Does anyone information there size and care of
these pedes.That is going on my want list.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
had them in the past,they don't get big,about 6" easy to care for,someone on AB was selling them years back. these are very close to the indo.blacktips that i have.very cool pede:clap:

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hay Pete,
If you see them for sale let me know.I really like that pede and would like to
get a couple.If any body else knows were to get them please make a post.
Thank you.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
did it look like this? if so its otostigmus scaber. this one was collected on maui near the Iao valley

John

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Wow- cool terminals & vaguely Alipes-like body! That 2nd set of pix- your clutch? What species?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
John,
are you going to have those pedelings for sale?