Mosses.....??

m4illi17

Arachnopeon
Ok so I'm getting in my new Narceus americanus this week that I've asked so many questions about, and I have another right now.

They are supposed to be native in my area, so I went out today and got a few things from outside to put in the cage with them, one of which was a clump of moss.

Does anyone know if any type of moss is AT ALL poisonous to millipedes, especially Narceus americanus?...I didn't think it would be a problem, but I thought I'd find out before I got them in.

m4illi17

Arachnopeon
Also, I have rinsed out the mosses VERY thoroughly and with really cold water too, trying to make sure there's no more dirt in there at all....I know they won't keep growing...I mainly want it for humidity

m4illi17

Arachnopeon
Ok. I'm VERY sorry that I've posted 3 times in one day, but I want to get everything in.

I'm planning on using a lot of oak leaves to feed my Narceus americanus millipedes that I'm getting, as well as using it for some of the other species I have already. I also got a little log from outside to put in the tank as well.

How long do I need to freeze these? I have a freezer in the garage that doesn't get very cold. I've read that the native millipedes don't need them to be frozen as long. I've also read that I may need to freeze them for a week.

Also, I've heard that I need to freeze the wood for a LONG time...almost a month.

I was just wondering what the correct times were for all of these. I think the native millipedes would be fine if I just washed the leaves, and froze the wood for a day, but I'm a little more cautious about the different African species that I have.

Thanks for the help...(sorry again for the multiple posts.)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Ya know, I've never received a solid answer on this either. I've personally never frozen logs before, but I have microwaved/baked them. Do it on a day when you can open the doors/windows so you don't piss off your spouse/gf/bf/etc. It will stink. Start w/ a preheated oven at 350 for 15 min. You'll be able to estimate how much of the log is drying out and add time accordingly, but be sure to check it every 15 to avoid burning down your house. After all, you are putting wood in an oven. As far as the moss: if these millies aren't expensive & you're willing to take the risk, take a shot at keeping the moss alive in the tank. With regular mistings & a little natural light it will thrive & provide a place for the millies to take a vacation.

m4illi17

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks. The only part I worry about with the moss is that I would LIKE to start a colony with these millipedes, which are Narceus americanus, and I got about 10 of them. I don't really want to ruin that by putting in some moss. But I still want it......:wall:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
You *could* experiment with just one & the live moss & see how it goes for a couple of months?

m4illi17

Arachnopeon
yah i could....that would work....if anyone knows though, I'd still like to know if I can keep the moss in there....and I'm not sure if I can bake the wood or not here.....which may be a problem...