new and have some questions

ZEKE

Arachnopeon
hey everyone im new to centipedes. i find them in my back yard and watch them for a while before i let them go but i would like to be able to keep one.

i was wondering if i could keep one of these that i find in my yard or if thats a bad idea. if its a bad idea to keep one from my yard what would be a good first one to buy?

the ones in my yard are about 2 inches long. what would i feed a 2 inch centipede? would normal crickets be too big for it?

i was thinking i would get like a 1/2 gallon glass jug or a 1 gallon glass jug and fill it like half way up with bed-a-beast and some bark pieces and leaves on top of that.

how hot do they need to be kept at and what humidity?

will a piece of window screen rubber banded over the top of the jug hold it in?

sorry if these are dumb questions. if you all think this is a horrible idea let me know and i wont do it.

thanks for any help and advice.

~AC~

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey Zeke-

I don't think you'll upset the balance of nature by keeping a backyard centipede- go for it. My small guys tend to ignore crickets & don't really eat that often anyway. I've had the best luck w/ small beetle grubs, small mealworms & termites. You could probably go even smaller than 1/2 gallon. I use 2 oz. deli cups or smallish pickle jars. Moisten whatever substrate you use to mimic the conditions where you found it. Room temp. should be fine. A window screen will work, but a lid w/ holes will keep the humidity in better. Be sure to post a pic;)

hey everyone im new to centipedes. i find them in my back yard and watch them for a while before i let them go but i would like to be able to keep one.

i was wondering if i could keep one of these that i find in my yard or if thats a bad idea. if its a bad idea to keep one from my yard what would be a good first one to buy?

the ones in my yard are about 2 inches long. what would i feed a 2 inch centipede? would normal crickets be too big for it?

i was thinking i would get like a 1/2 gallon glass jug or a 1 gallon glass jug and fill it like half way up with bed-a-beast and some bark pieces and leaves on top of that.

how hot do they need to be kept at and what humidity?

will a piece of window screen rubber banded over the top of the jug hold it in?

sorry if these are dumb questions. if you all think this is a horrible idea let me know and i wont do it.

thanks for any help and advice.

~AC~

ZEKE

Arachnopeon
awesome thanks!

one that i found and really liked was about 2 inches long, not very wide, and bright yellow. i think it was "Cryptops leucopodus". this is the one that i would like to find keep one of.
the other one seemed short and wide and was kinda a dark red color. i think it was "Scolopocryptops sexspinosus"

i live in MD and i am using this page to guess which species i saw: http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/states/cent_MD.html

what is the best way to catch one without hurting it?

i am also interested in getting one of the bigger species (like 6+ inches) eventually. would one of them be able to go in a gallon jug like i described or would i need something bigger?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That's Cacoseraph's page- he'll be happy that it's being used. As far as catching it, just use your hand or a pill bottle, place it near the head of the 'pede & gently tap on its back end- they're very quick.

As far as the larger, more exotic specimens: a large jar(1 gallon +) will work, but I find that I see my big guys more often if they have more floor space. Make damn sure that you have an inescapable container as you don't want to wake up with one on your chest:eek:

If you do get a larger specimen, don't try to catch w/ you hand;) As always- post pix!

awesome thanks!

one that i found and really liked was about 2 inches long, not very wide, and bright yellow. i think it was "Cryptops leucopodus". this is the one that i would like to find keep one of.
the other one seemed short and wide and was kinda a dark red color. i think it was "Scolopocryptops sexspinosus"

i live in MD and i am using this page to guess which species i saw: http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/states/cent_MD.html

what is the best way to catch one without hurting it?

i am also interested in getting one of the bigger species (like 6+ inches) eventually. would one of them be able to go in a gallon jug like i described or would i need something bigger?

ZEKE

Arachnopeon
awesome! thanks for the great help! ill try to get one in the next few days and ill post pictures for sure when i do.

now the next step is finding a container to keep it in :)

ZEKE

Arachnopeon
hey i got another question. could i keep more than one Cryptops leucopodus in the same enclosure or will they eat eachother? when i found them there were 3 under the same piece of wood but it was a big piece of wood so i dunno if it was just coincidence or if that means i could keep a few in the same container.

ex0tics

Arachnopeon
I can't see why not if anoth food is provided, though you'd need a bigger container so they all have anoth room.

Though I'm no expert or anything :confused:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Don't know for sure, but you'll prob. wind up w/ 1 fat 'pede. Not much info. on these, though a quick "search this forum" click revealed quite a few previous posts- good luck!