Just got my first pede: an S. Subspinipes

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just got my first pede. It's a 7 inch s. subspinipes. I threw a cricket in and it made the cricket disappear in under 5 minutes. Love the attitude on it. Then i threw a 1.5 inch roach in. It's hit the roach a couple times, but hasn't latched on to it yet.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! I love all of my pedes. Once I got my first pede it was pretty much an addiction from there. I now have about about 50 counting babies!!!! Be sure to ask any questions along the way, and feel free to search the forum as there is a ton of useful information.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. I set it up in an xl critter keeper. I smeared the top 3 inches of the critter keeper with cooking oil. I also covered all the edges of the tank with about 1.5 inches of tape as a barrier. Inside I gave it peatmoss/vermiculite substrate and a shallow water dish. I also taped 2/3 of the lid to help keep in moisture.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks. I set it up in an xl critter keeper. I smeared the top 3 inches of the critter keeper with cooking oil. I also covered all the edges of the tank with about 1.5 inches of tape as a barrier. Inside I gave it peatmoss/vermiculite substrate and a shallow water dish. I also taped 2/3 of the lid to help keep in moisture.
Overkill. I have never had a centipede escape from a securely closed Kritter Keeper, or any other container for that matter. Moreover, the cooking oil may also be harmful to the centipede if it ingests any of it.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Not sure why the 'pede would have the inclination to consume cooking oil, but it isn't necessary & a creature of that size will crawl right over it anyway. The downside of the KK's is they dry out very fast- a little plastic wrap under the lid works wonders, though.