Can female centipedes retain sperm after a molt?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
for all those that have been breeding centipedes, I was wondering if female centipedes can retain their sperm that they got from the male (during a mate) after they molted?

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes they can. There are some occasions of pedes that molted and raised pedelings after that.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the quick response. I did some searches on this, but i just wanted to get a firm answer from a long term experience hobbyist ;).

I also look up some information on mating centipedes and realized how much information we have learned since 2003.

wayyyy back, Steven and most of us that just started out on this hobby have no idea how centipedes mate and all that other stuff, but now everything is in the archive and anyone that want to start out on this hobby can just do a quick search, a bit of reading, and you can really learn a lot.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

had a female Cormocephalus incongruens from Madagascar retaining sperm and producing a succesful hatch after molt.

I was pretty surprised. ;)

Regards,
Turgut

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
thanks for the quick response. I did some searches on this, but i just wanted to get a firm answer from a long term experience hobbyist ;).

I also look up some information on mating centipedes and realized how much information we have learned since 2003.

wayyyy back, Steven and most of us that just started out on this hobby have no idea how centipedes mate and all that other stuff, but now everything is in the archive and anyone that want to start out on this hobby can just do a quick search, a bit of reading, and you can really learn a lot.
There IS a ton of information here. I wish we could get it a little bit better organized. Somtimes you have to read through gobs of posts just to get a tiny snippet of information & unfortunately, the search function just isn't very good. It's not comparable to a regular search engine or a professional database, anyway.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There IS a ton of information here. I wish we could get it a little bit better organized. Somtimes you have to read through gobs of posts just to get a tiny snippet of information & unfortunately, the search function just isn't very good. It's not comparable to a regular search engine or a professional database, anyway.
Yes, i know what you mean...
ATS forum, their picture galleries are very organize. The have the genus all separated. it's not like that here.

dtasrt_lk

Arachnopeon
I have a Rhysida nuda that produced 31 offspring late last year which molted a few months ago. Found her with eggs again the other day although maybe half the amount as the first time.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a Rhysida nuda that produced 31 offspring late last year which molted a few months ago. Found her with eggs again the other day although maybe half the amount as the first time.
I would wait to see if the eggs are fertile, because sometime they are not fertile.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry to derail,but female centipedes retain sperm?
so they can actually lay fertilized eggs several times before needing to mate again?
just wondering cause my S mutilans recently had a clutch.