Where can I get flat millipedes

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found a dead flat-backed milli (similar to the one in the pic) while on vacation in Oklahoma and it was so cool I decided I wanted to own one but I can't find one anywhere. No one seems to be selling them and I don't think I live in an area where they can be found. Anyone know where I could get one.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how big was this?

i have access to hundreds of similar ones. they don't have the tan tips. and are really small.

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bunch around here too, only about 1-2" long, found them living with pillbugs inside rotten logs.

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have some bigger ones around here and may even have some albinos.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i can get a bunch of those exact milli... they are hard to keep though and dont ship well. the ones i found were about 3.5 to 3.75 inches. black and yellow and flat. i caught to and they died ithin 3 hours.

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have some bigger ones around here and may even have some albinos.
could you catch some and get a pic

i can get a bunch of those exact milli... they are hard to keep though and dont ship well. the ones i found were about 3.5 to 3.75 inches. black and yellow and flat. i caught to and they died ithin 3 hours.
im interested in trying to keep this species, have you ever tried catching them again, The one I found seemed to have been dried out by the sun so maby its a moisture problem

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had them breed in captivity. That's how I'm assuming they are albinos. There was some speculation that it could be a freshly molted one but it retained its color and I found at one juvenile in there with the same colors.

Albino:

Color comparison:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hey Elleken-

Could you divulge a bit about your setup? I'm keeping clown millis(Harpaphe haydeniana) & have lost 75% of the stock since collecting. Just curious if it's a setup issue or if these guys just flat out die after breeding(which they were doing quite copiously up until 2 weeks ago)?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
When you say breeding, what kind of success do you mean? Have you had eggs hatch into young you've reared to adulthood?
An albino would be devoid of melanin (black or brown). That brown millipede is not an albino. You might call it hypomelanistic (not as much dark pigment) but not albino.

I've had them breed in captivity. That's how I'm assuming they are albinos. There was some speculation that it could be a freshly molted one but it retained its color and I found at one juvenile in there with the same colors.

Albino:

Color comparison:

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They've hatched and grown to about half their adult hood size. I think they do die after breeding or at least after laying eggs. I keep them in really moist coco substrate with a bunch of dead leaves for food. They seem to do really well in there. Thanks for the correction on albino.