Watched a C. Sculpt eat for the first time!

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh my gosh, that was amazing! I have two in my jar (waiting to get 4 to mail to Abyss some day...) and I figured they were hungry so I got a cricket at Petsmart. The second I dropped it in the jar, WHAM. The scorpion was on it! He went whack, whack twice with his tail at lightning speed and then the cricket didn't move. I'm wondering, was it dead at that point or paralyzed? Then he started dragging it and dragged it where I couldn't see it. This morning there are bits of cricket left. Amazing. Of course I apologized to the cricket first. I told him his life wasn't in vain, that it is serving a purpose and thanked him. (To make me feel better.)

Well, not exciting for you old pros, but pretty cool to see the first time! :p

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, all these scorpions you have managed and you barely saw one eat for the fist time?
I would have thought the first thing you did was feed one.:eek:

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh my gosh, that was amazing! I have two in my jar (waiting to get 4 to mail to Abyss some day...) and I figured they were hungry so I got a cricket at Petsmart. The second I dropped it in the jar, WHAM. The scorpion was on it! He went whack, whack twice with his tail at lightning speed and then the cricket didn't move. I'm wondering, was it dead at that point or paralyzed? Then he started dragging it and dragged it where I couldn't see it. This morning there are bits of cricket left. Amazing. Of course I apologized to the cricket first. I told him his life wasn't in vain, that it is serving a purpose and thanked him. (To make me feel better.)

Well, not exciting for you old pros, but pretty cool to see the first time! :p
I have C. Vittatus in with the C. Sculpturatus you gave me and BOTH of them are ruthless, quick killers. Mine eat Crickets almost or as big as they are. Sometimes they walk around with the cricket in their mouth. You should keep a few for yourself! VERY fun Scorpions to watch but not to handle. My thumb, hand and lower wrist just stopped hurting a day or so ago!

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, all these scorpions you have managed and you barely saw one eat for the fist time?
I would have thought the first thing you did was feed one.:eek:
LOL! I never kept them long enough to feed them! Catch um and ship um out.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Catch and Ship

Yeah, I do that a lot too kathy. It's a lot easier to get a C. vittatus out of a collecting jar than a colony cage where it's latched on to the cork bark anyday!
But it is very neat kathy! I just did a big group feeding a few days ago, and threw in extra crickets that were given to me.. They were walking around with one in there mouth, one in EACH claw, and some of them were still walking around stinging. How many crickets does one scorpion need??? Maybe we should do an eating contest. I could line them up, do play by play announcing. First one to eat 10 full grown crickets wins? J/K, but they wouldn't be if they entered. There seems to be no end to their appetite. Very cool stuff! ryan

LOL! I never kept them long enough to feed them! Catch um and ship um out.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Abyss, these are your "kids" I'm babysitting.... :)

Does anyone know when the cricket (prey) gets stung if it is paralyzed or dies instantly?