crickets keep dieing

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my crickets keep dieing i just ordered 1000 crix from flukers
they were fine when i got them but over night i found maybe 200
dead and dieing on their backs sort of kicking ihave been feeding my crix i breed the same way with some homemade gutload and fresh veggies baby carrots. the only thing i have done that is
different is i gave them some coconut fresh out of the shell could that have made all the crix die? or could it have been something along the way?in shipping?
thanks cheyenne

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i remember a while back, back on petbugs, joy advised me not to use forest bedding b/c of the use of pesticides on coconut harvests.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Are you keeping them is them sort of enclosure? I have been ordering from flukers for years and only had problems in the beginning until I figured out that ventilation is key. I even keep a fan running across the top of the screened in fish tanks to help. Ever since I've stared using the fan I have been able to keep 90+% of the crixs alive until they either die of old age or are fed.

Also, did temps drop unexpectantly?

Jeff

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ventilation would be my guess too. I've been keeping 2-3K in tubs for months with no problems then all of a sudden I lost nearly half a batch. The reason? The egg crate was lying on the floor of the enclosure instead of propped up thus creating an environment under the crate that trapped their noxious waste gases and created a kill-off. I've gone back to making sure the egg crates are verticle and haven't had a problem since.

BTW, I've used several different suppliers with roughly the same results. I'd chose a supplier by price and count, IME.

Botar

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i contacted flukers and the said it had to be some sort of poison to make them die in such high numbers after three days
maybe 500 -600 dead well flukers sent me some more and guess
what all alive and three days later but the other batch keep dieing not so many as out first but still . i keep them in an old refridgerator turned on its side and a 100 watt incadescent
temps anywhere from 80 day 59 nights . maybe some poison at the shipper is my guess thanks for all the replies cheyenne