S mutilans pedelings

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
got a few questions.
ive recently had my S mutilans breed.
the pedelings are live and doing well,now about 2" long.
problem is,i seperated them into their own container and all of them got out.
(running all over my house...)
i retrieved one of them though.
now,can i actually keep the pedelings with the adults?
these are a communal species,but still,im not sure if its okay.
im trying with just that one pedeling and it hasnt been eaten yet.
also,are the babies canabalistic?or can they be kept together as well?
thank you!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
congrats! any pix? the communality of this species seems to be in dispute- maybe separate until you hear from a long term keeper. at least separate those of different sizes.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

i keep pedelings together with the mother until they show evidence of wandering.

Then i usually separate them in smaller groups (3 or 4 groups in total).
From time to time i separate those groups into smaller ones until i separate each pedeling to its own enclosure in the end. I would do that in a time period of approx. 4 weeks.

You will surely loose some pedelings, but it's like in nature: The strongest survive. :)

Regards,
Turgut

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congrats! any pix? the communality of this species seems to be in dispute- maybe separate until you hear from a long term keeper. at least separate those of different sizes.
thanks.
yea,i know what you mean.
they will eat each other when they get very hungry.
the red legged ones seem to kill each other the most.
the yellow ones are much much more mellow with each other,and the two varieties are so different in terms of behavior.
i have a few pics of when she was carrying the eggs,but no new pics cause ive been pretty busy.
i just got a few containers for the baby and any future broods,so some pics tonight.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

i keep pedelings together with the mother until they show evidence of wandering.

Then i usually separate them in smaller groups (3 or 4 groups in total).
From time to time i separate those groups into smaller ones until i separate each pedeling to its own enclosure in the end. I would do that in a time period of approx. 4 weeks.

You will surely loose some pedelings, but it's like in nature: The strongest survive. :)

Regards,
Turgut
thanks for the info.
they already showed signs of wandering at the 3rd week.
i separated them near the 4th week,but they all escaped....one left.
itll be in its own container tonight.
unfortunately i cant keep them ALL individually,so i'll just keep whatever i can.
so i can put them with the adults only when theyre large enough?

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

I don't keep any of my centipedes together when they are adult.
For communal questions please ask some of the other experts in this forum. ;)

Regards,
Turgut

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I don't keep any of my centipedes together when they are adult.
For communal questions please ask some of the other experts in this forum. ;)

Regards,
Turgut
ive kept mutilans together for months now without problems with the yellow legs.
the red legs always get eaten eventually for some reason.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

put the captive bred centipedes together when they are adult, just to see if CB-mutilans are still that communal. Would be an interesting study.

Regards,
Turgut

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

put the captive bred centipedes together when they are adult, just to see if CB-mutilans are still that communal. Would be an interesting study.

Regards,
Turgut
will do!
although i think the adults are CB too.
im pretty sure theyre bred here for fish feeding.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

do you have evidence they "breed" those mutilans in their farms instead of just catching and putting them together?

Must be hell of an effort to keep so many pedelings alive (without having deaths or escapes) - to me a crazy effort for "cheap" fish food. :)

Regards,
Turgut

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

do you have evidence they "breed" those mutilans in their farms instead of just catching and putting them together?

Must be hell of an effort to keep so many pedelings alive (without having deaths or escapes) - to me a crazy effort for "cheap" fish food. :)

Regards,
Turgut
no,im just speculating.
and you may be very right indeed.
i just didnt think of catching that many pedes plus theyre not found here.
im just a humble keeper.:p

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the pics!
parents and the lone pedeling.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have these guys and i keep all my pedelings with the adults and they live together without any problem (just my experience).

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have these guys and i keep all my pedelings with the adults and they live together without any problem (just my experience).
thanks for the info.
future broods shall stay with the parents then.:D

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the info.
future broods shall stay with the parents then.:D
this is what i would... I would take that baby that you got and put it with the parents and see if it'll get eaten. if it does, then separate the future broods, if it's not eaten, then it can stay there and your future brood can stay there too.

It is better to experiment and lose one baby, rather than lose a lot more later on.

but that's just me and how i would do things... it's something that you'll have to decide for yourself at your own risk.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is what i would... I would take that baby that you got and put it with the parents and see if it'll get eaten. if it does, then separate the future broods, if it's not eaten, then it can stay there and your future brood can stay there too.

It is better to experiment and lose one baby, rather than lose a lot more later on.

but that's just me and how i would do things... it's something that you'll have to decide for yourself at your own risk.
well,i actually did have the baby with them for almost a week before i removed it yesterday.
they showed no interest in it.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well,i actually did have the baby with them for almost a week before i removed it yesterday.
they showed no interest in it.
that's good, sound like mine. if that's the case, then you shouldn't have to worry about separating them.