Communal centipedes?

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jumping right in! Got myself a 7" Scolopendra sp. at the last show and now I'm looking for more! :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
keep 'em separate, warren. i just lost a Barbados morph to a cherry red when a my poorly designed, bisecting wall allowed the cherry red to get through.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
keep 'em separate, warren. i just lost a Barbados morph to a cherry red when a my poorly designed, bisecting wall allowed the cherry red to get through.
The Barbados "morph" is Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes; "Cherry Reds" are Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani - two distinct subspecies from very different parts of the world. Aggression was inevitable, but communal centipedes do exist.

Warren: Nonetheless, your 7" subspinipes is very unlikely to be the (communal) mutilans, so yes, keep it solitary.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Gee whiz- thanks so much for the lesson & correction, "pedemaster" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do you EVER tire of being condescending? BTW, that's rhetorical, but I'm sure you'll reply anyways...some things are as predictable as the changing of the seasons.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as far as i know,the only scolopendra that are communal are mutilans?
coorect me if im wrong.
still,ive had alot of deaths related to canibalism with mutilans.
and for some reason it only happens with the reds.
they tend to always get eaten by the yellow legs or eat each other,but the yellow legs are totally fine with each other.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Barbados "morph" is Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes; "Cherry Reds" are Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani - two distinct subspecies from very different parts of the world. Aggression was inevitable, but communal centipedes do exist.

Warren: Nonetheless, your 7" subspinipes is very unlikely to be the (communal) mutilans, so yes, keep it solitary.
Oh, I know he's probably not communal, I was just looking if different species were. also, does anyone know what species a "Vietnamese Yellow legged centipede" is? If it helps, his head and his tail area are red, his body is black, and his legs are banana yellow.

Jonathan.Hui

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, I know he's probably not communal, I was just looking if different species were. also, does anyone know what species a "Vietnamese Yellow legged centipede" is? If it helps, his head and his tail area are red, his body is black, and his legs are banana yellow.
Scolopendra subspinipes de haani "Vietnam" (Yellow Leg) {D