Millipedes communal with _?

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fill in the blank!

I have 2 African Fire millipedes in a 29 gallon aquarium. In pede-fashion they stay burrowed most of the time, and i was thinking about adding something to the tank. At first frogs came to mind, but if i end up with baby pedelings the frogs might eat them.

What, if anything, would peacefully live in a communal tank with millipedes?

I do plan on getting more millipedes- i'd LOVE some Vietnamese Rainbows and African Giant Blacks (not the easiest to find, so if anyone has some for sale please PM me!).

I'd appreciate any tips and ideas! Thank ya!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
centipedes?:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=1387282

also, i would think that any herbivore would be OK. i have read here and elsewhere that millipedes have rudimentary feeding needs in order to build chitin & when those needs are not met, millis get "munchy" w/ one another.

as for the hissers, they would need a form of protein to keep them from munching on the millis. not an everyday occurence, but if they were protein starved...

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the past i was keeping together cockroaches and millipedes together - there was no problems :)

Also my project with centipede and millipedes was successfull :)

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep a communal tank of millis, hissers, isopods, and one tailless whip scorpion and have had no problems so far, the whip scorpion is small and eats the isopods, but if it gets big enough to threaten the hissers it will get its own cage.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My husband is cool with my hobby so far, but i think that getting roaches would be crossing the invisible line- he doesn't like the idea of keeping feeder roaches, so i use crickets. :p

I'll add some more millipedes, and we have mini pillbugs aplenty outside. I'll dig some up and put them in quarantine for a couple weeks.

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My husband is cool with my hobby so far, but i think that getting roaches would be crossing the invisible line- he doesn't like the idea of keeping feeder roaches, so i use crickets. :p
Has your husband ever seen a hissing cockroach in person, I swear there
like puppies but with an exoskeleton

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I originally bought AGBs to keep with my Crested Geckos and it worked out well. They make great cleaners for the tank. The only this you have to worry about is the geckos snapping them in half (which only happened to me once and I've been keeping them together for two years), other than that they don't harm each other and it makes a great display when the millis decide to come out.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
In the past i was keeping together cockroaches and millipedes together - there was no problems :)

Also my project with centipede and millipedes was successfull :)
Hey there, JustGreg- how long has the centi/milli experiment been going on now? Last count was 6 months. I'm really intrigued by this.

Texasroach- how large are your millipedes/tailless whipscorpion?

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey there, JustGreg- how long has the centi/milli experiment been going on now? Last count was 6 months. I'm really intrigued by this.

Texasroach- how large are your millipedes/tailless whipscorpion?
I have three adult Narceus americanus, the tws is small, I believe it to be a juvenile Damon species.

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, not really sure :p Few months more, I've moved to another flat and just didn't have enought space for this project. But as I wrote earlier - everything was fine during these months!