pedes not eating mealworms

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anyone with the same experience?
my pedes wont ever touch mealworms.
ive actually had so many mealworms living together with the pedes and even walk over them or hide under them.
do you think they could be a "clean up" crew for the pede enclosure?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
If they get hungry enough most centipedes will eventually eat mealworms. They'd make a poor clean up crew because there's a good chance they'll chew on the centipede when it molts and kill it.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If they get hungry enough most centipedes will eventually eat mealworms. They'd make a poor clean up crew because there's a good chance they'll chew on the centipede when it molts and kill it.
Especially if they are jumbo mealworms, which seem to have a very high protein requirement. I've had large jumbos decapitate and devour live crickets.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool.
luckily ive removed them all.
how hungry is hungry?
cause i tried starving for 2-3 weeks and still they wouldnt touch the mealworms.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if they are not eating the mealworms, then this is what i would recommend that you do to get them to start eating them.

take 1-2 mealworms and cut it in half, then throw it in the centipede enclosure. usually when the centipede touches the mealworm's blood, they would know that it's food and usually will eat them.

you also need to be aware that when a centipede refuses to eat is usually when it is in premolt (about to molt). if this is the case, then its color will look very dull and it becomes sluggish. after it molted you can resume feeding after 7-10 days (depending on its size).

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if they are not eating the mealworms, then this is what i would recommend that you do to get them to start eating them.

take 1-2 mealworms and cut it in half, then throw it in the centipede enclosure. usually when the centipede touches the mealworm's blood, they would know that it's food and usually will eat them.

you also need to be aware that when a centipede refuses to eat is usually when it is in premolt (about to molt). if this is the case, then its color will look very dull and it becomes sluggish. after it molted you can resume feeding after 7-10 days (depending on its size).
i'll try that in a couple of days.
thanks.
i just tried frogs for the first time today,seems like my pedes dont like them either...
after i started feeding cut up shrimp,they pretty much lost interest in live food.
maybe they lost their sense of smell?:?
nah,none of them are in premolt right now.
both still very bright.:D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i pretty much always prekill mealworms to feed them out. too many times something would go to put the bite on a mealworm and have the worm spaz out and flip all over the place turning the predator off of them

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i pretty much always prekill mealworms to feed them out. too many times something would go to put the bite on a mealworm and have the worm spaz out and flip all over the place turning the predator off of them
ive tried prekilled as well.
they just...walk over it.:?

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've have some that wont eat mealworms to.There are plenty of other food
items out there.So just feed them something else.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
like i said before,i tried starving for several weeks.
pretty sure htey werent overfed.
right after i tried the mealworms,they took shrimp.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not to belabor the point, but i only feed my pedes every 2-3 weeks so i wouldn't really consider that starving them

while it is possible that your specimen does not "like" meal worms i have had hundreds of centipedes and can't think of a single one that wouldn't eat what i gave it (prekilled only, centipedes tend to be wimps and get scared off by live food)

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not to belabor the point, but i only feed my pedes every 2-3 weeks so i wouldn't really consider that starving them

while it is possible that your specimen does not "like" meal worms i have had hundreds of centipedes and can't think of a single one that wouldn't eat what i gave it (prekilled only, centipedes tend to be wimps and get scared off by live food)
by a few weeks i meant more than 2 months.

well,one of my pedes has eaten mealworms.
i cut it into pieces cause i feed my T slings cut up mealworms,and i put the remainder with the pedes.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
right on :)

i personally think centipedes are by far the moist stupid of all the common pet bugs... i think it takes them longer to learn something is good to eat. and i think this is what makes them more bitey... they just don't have the thought power to realize i am not a threat :)

congrats on getting one to eat... i think a balanced diet is much more likely when feeding different species of prey :)

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
right on :)

i personally think centipedes are by far the moist stupid of all the common pet bugs... i think it takes them longer to learn something is good to eat. and i think this is what makes them more bitey... they just don't have the thought power to realize i am not a threat :)

congrats on getting one to eat... i think a balanced diet is much more likely when feeding different species of prey :)
not just one.
a few of them.
theyll only eat cut up ones,not live ones.:?
the live ones just walk over them (maybe they think its another pede?theyre a communal species).

yea,they are pretty stupid alright...
when a frog stops moving,they go right over it while looking for it...
but at least theyll grab crickets and cut up shrimp immediately.