an interesting method to loose weight

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I successfully bred my mantids yesterday, the male mounted the female and i left them in the tank together over night. When i checked in the morning, i could see that the male had been eaten, there were some wings on the floor of the tank. Then i looked a bit closer and could see something moving around. Much to my amusement, there was the upper body of the male mantid still alive and well :D . I took him out the tank and tried to feed him a cricket, which he immediately grabbed and started eating lol. Here's a pic of him doing it. I was going to leave him and see how long he stayed alive for, but i felt sorry for the little bugger, so i put him out of his misery. It really reminded me of the scene out of monty python and the search for the hold grail, the one where the knight has him arms and legs chopped off but still wants to fight. haha. Anyway, here's the pic...

Cheers,

Dan.

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that's kind of sad.... yet funny at the same time....

i don't know whether to go "awww!" or just laugh....

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
yep,... funny and sad picture at the same time,..... :( =D
anyway a great picture:D

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They really stick it out until the end..

I can't help but to laugh and feel sorry at the same time.

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and also thank you for putting it out of it's pain.... if you had just let it linger, then i probly would have been really upset.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so how did u put the little survivor out of its misery;P
mike

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used the closest thing to hand, which happened to be a ceramic flowerpot. One swift movement and it was flat as a pancake and certanly wasn't feeling any pain anymore. I figured that was the most humane method, if not the most aesthetic.

Dan.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh my gosh, that is so sad! :( Poor little guy. Glad you had mercy on him enough to end his suffering.

-Kelly