PDA

View Full Version : What kind of water do you use?

biomarine2000
07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Does it matter what kind of water you use? For example, distilled, tap, spring, dechloronized. Post what you use. I've been using distilled but am not sure if it is necessary.

Triggerman73
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Does it matter what kind of water you use? For example, distilled, tap, spring, dechloronized. Post what you use. I've been using distilled but am not sure if it is necessary.

well, i asked the same question a while back...heres the link to it:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=152512

biomarine2000
07-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the link. I tried searching but this seemed too broad for my searching abilities. I would still like everyone to leave their vote in the pole if you dont mind.

Skullptor
07-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I make my own. Two parts H; one part O.

sorry, I couldn't resist. :o Regular ole tap water (I believe it's chlorinated too). I used to use bottled that started after a hurricane and just kept using it. I have since switched to Neuse river water out of the tap. :)

Exo
07-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I use rain water, so I vote for other. :)

jbm150
07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I used bottled water, either spring or distilled. The biggest reason for me was that it didn't leave as many water spots if I misted the walls of the tank. Honestly though, I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Triggerman73
07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the link. I tried searching but this seemed too broad for my searching abilities. I would still like everyone to leave their vote in the pole if you dont mind.

i feel the same way...no offense to you nor joe but you're lucky i got here before xhexdx did :p

Steve Calceatum
07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Filtered tap water usually. Sometimes I forget to turn on the filter on my faucet, and the t's get regularly leaded tap..oops! :8o

Spyder 1.0
07-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Brita filtered tap water is what I've switched to recently.

Only because there is high calcium in Guelph water. People get kidney stones here all the time from it.

biomarine2000
07-18-2009, 08:27 PM
i feel the same way...no offense to you nor joe but you're lucky i got here before xhexdx did :p

I'm not scared of Joe. lol.

xhexdx
07-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not scared of Joe. lol.

Rawr!

Just kidding.

Eh, whatever. I don't like your choices though, so I'm not voting. :}

Paramite
07-18-2009, 08:40 PM
We've already had debates about this recently (as you know by now), so I'm only going to say what I said before: I use tap water and I don't let it be for 24 hours or any other BS. It's really not necessary. It has NO ill effects on tarantulas.

biomarine2000
07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Rawr!

Just kidding.

Eh, whatever. I don't like your choices though, so I'm not voting. :}

Tell me what you use then. I would really like to know.

Nomadinexile
07-18-2009, 09:09 PM
spring water

gvfarns
07-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Bah, chlorinated tap is fine. The water sits around for a long time before they drink anyway and the chlorine is long gone by then.

Exo
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Bah, chlorinated tap is fine. The water sits around for a long time before they drink anyway and the chlorine is long gone by then.

Have you heard about the medications they have found in tap water? They don't evaporate and I doubt they are good for Ts. Probably what happened to Robs mutant slings! :eek:

Bill S
07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
I use distilled water. It doesn't matter for the tarantulas, but it leaves much less spotting on the terrarium sides than the local water. The alternative out here is well water, and I live in a limestone formation - water is incredibly hard. The spiders don't care, but if I mist or splash water on the sides of the terrariums, I soon have a container with white sides that can't be cleaned except with strong acid.

Chlorinated water isn't available where I live, but if I lived in town and had to use the stuff they pump through the pipes there, I'd probably use bottled water instead. Some years ago when Tucson switched from ground water to treated Colorado River water the chemicals they treated it with ate holes in the pipes of old houses. If it dissolves the plumbing, it can't be good for tarantulas. Nowadays they have adjusted the treatment process - so it's supposed to be better. But I'd still be doubtful. And distilled water is cheap enough that it's not a problem.

flamesbane
07-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I voted other and use well water.

violentblossom
07-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Bottled. The tap water we have where we live is apparently pretty nasty for drinking. When my fiance moved out here, there was a letter sent to all nearby residents warning that our water had amoebas in it, so yeah. We get our water else where, and my T's drink what I do.

moose35
07-19-2009, 12:09 AM
i voted other.
i just use water from the toilet. its already cold and shoot its good enough for the dog so why not.

moose

Ether Imp
07-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Bottled spring/mineral water is my preference. It's clean but isn't stripped of minerals.

Tap water of any kind is potentially nasty.

Rain water would be good.

Distilled water is stripped of all the minerals... Are you folks sure that makes no difference to T's? Because if, as a human, we drink too much distilled water it can actually make us sick. It's only good in small quantities once in a while.

syndicate
07-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I use bottled Poland spring water.Not the distilled kind either.

the_mask86
07-19-2009, 09:15 AM
i use filtered tap water.

and that's cause to me it seems to leave less spots on the tank.

sean-820
07-19-2009, 09:35 AM
I use dechloinated tap water. Like said when misting it will leave mineral deposits, but i dont really care to much. RO water or distilled would be best if you didnt want minerals left from the water. Also you can find both or these in a jug for a couple dollars so with just t's, it would last a decent amount of time. I think dechlorinated water works fine, but mineral deposits on the glass is a bit of a turn off but still not that big of a deal

sean-820
07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Also its not hard to get rid or chlorine from water. Clorine (Cl2) is a gas so if left in an open top containor it will go back into its gas form and leave the water. So there is no real reason to need chlorine. There is something thats a chlorine compound called chloramine or something like that that this doesnt work for so it depends what you supply uses.

Fyreflye
07-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I use filtered tap water for my critters. What the filter takes out, i couldn't tell you- actually, this thread just made me realize that this is a subject i know very little about, but i can't help but feel that straight tap water is questionable.

Sathane
07-19-2009, 09:54 AM
LOL! Brilliant. :)

I use distilled for the reasons already mentioned, no water spots on the glass.

I make my own. Two parts H; one part O.

sorry, I couldn't resist. :o Regular ole tap water (I believe it's chlorinated too). I used to use bottled that started after a hurricane and just kept using it. I have since switched to Neuse river water out of the tap. :)

Bill S
07-19-2009, 06:18 PM
There is something thats a chlorine compound called chloramine or something like that that this doesnt work for so it depends what you supply uses.

Chloramine is widely used for chlorinating water nowadays. And you're right - it doesn't de-gas by simply leaving the water open to the air. There are commercial dechlorinating compounds available, but if you're going to spend all that money and effort to produce safe water, why not buy bottled water in the first place?

Sathane
07-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Why isn't recycled urine on the list?
Is it's good enough for astronauts, it's got to be good enough for Ts. :D

Paramite
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Why isn't recycled urine on the list?
Is it's good enough for astronauts, it's got to be good enough for Ts. :D

Its good enough for me, but not good enough for my Ts. :wall:

Ewok
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM

I also asked that same question a while back.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=61124

xhexdx
07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Tell me what you use then. I would really like to know.

I use tap water. I have no idea if it's chlorinated or not.

whitewolf
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Good ol' nasty well water straight out the tap. LOL.

Just Hatched
07-20-2009, 09:31 AM
In Itzy's water dish I use Flukers Calcium Fortified cricket drink. And I wet his substrate with well water only when he is going into molt. Our ambient humidity stays between 40 and 60%. He stays up on the walls if I mist his tank more than I do.

spiderfield
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I use tap water with no ill-effects.

Sathane
07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Save your money, and your Ts, and don't use that Calcium Fortified garbage.
It's been suggested that too much calcium can cause brittleness in the exoskeleton and fangs of tarantulas.

In Itzy's water dish I use Flukers Calcium Fortified cricket drink. And I wet his substrate with well water only when he is going into molt. Our ambient humidity stays between 40 and 60%. He stays up on the walls if I mist his tank more than I do.

evicton
07-20-2009, 10:18 AM
This, plus T's can't actually get any water from these water gels.

Sathane
07-20-2009, 10:40 AM
That's right. These are crystals aren't they...

reverendsterlin
07-20-2009, 11:30 AM
well water is what I use

Just Hatched
07-20-2009, 10:31 PM

If this is true, then please tell me how he has managed to survive, from a sling, for 4 years.:confused:

Sathane
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Ts get the majority of their moisture from their food and their enviroment (humidity). Some keepers don't use water bowls at all and have no problems.

Water crystals are useless to your T and a waste of money (unless you have feeders to give it to).

If this is true, then please tell me how he has managed to survive, from a sling, for 4 years.:confused:

Kris-wIth-a-K
07-20-2009, 11:02 PM
The clear kind isn't an option???:?

blix
07-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I mostly use Evian bottled water, which I cool for a few hours before serving it to my tarantulas. On other occasions I look for other imported brands as well.

Sathane
07-20-2009, 11:17 PM
My M. balfouris and E. olivacea specimens prefer Perrier - the carbonated one.

They like how the bubbles tickle their chelicerae.

keeprollin02
07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Bottled water. Doesnt leave water spots on the tanks when i mist.

Hilikus311
07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I use this water!

JC
07-21-2009, 12:33 AM
I use vitamin water on all my T's. Can't get give your tarantulas enough vitamins,lol!

JK, I used distilled water, but not intentionally. I just fill up the sprayer and spray it onto the bowls when I need to.