Millipede Molting Questions

CecilPede

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My Giant African Millipede began to molt a few days ago. It seems really unusual and after years of keeping millipedes, the first time I have seen one molt.

I am awfully worried about what is going on. He is currently on the surface of the moss, in a reptile hiding place. There is currently white goo-like stuff coming out of his posterior end, and he is laying in a strange shape with some of his legs up. There is a shell nearby, it was once like a "ghost millipede", but now it is in a million pieces.

Can anyone tell me what to expect for the rest of the process, and some tips to make sure it is successful?

Anthony

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
They usually molt in a spiral. Don't touch it at all for a few days or you'll make dents in the exoskeleton.

CecilPede

Arachnopeon
OK. The only thing is, he is not currently in a spiral. He was yesterday, but now he is eating his old exoskeleton, which I think is to help him restore his chitin.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
He's probably exhausted- imagine tensing up your entire body & trying to remove your skin with your hands tied behind your back...and then eating a good portion of the skin. I get sleepy after a meal, too. Give it a few days & no touchy...

CecilPede

Arachnopeon
He seems to be doing a little better. Most of his shell is gone now. I set a piece of Romaine Lettuce by his hiding place where he is, and when I woke up this morning, I found that the lettuce had been pulled into the hiding place and he was eating it.