New daddy syndrome:scolopendra heros

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys. I just bought an S. heros yesterday at a reptile show. It's my first chilopod. It's name is mephistopheles.

I've got it set up on moist (not soaking wet) coco fiber with some fake shrubbery, a fourth of an egg carton dug into the dirt, and a flattened toilet paper roll. I breed both dubia and lateralis (i.e. roaches) which I plan on feeding him/her/it.

My question is: Is there anything weird about the species I should know? anything ive missed, care wise? I know I could spend a long time on the web searching--and i will soon--but this is faster and i'm a bit busy with other things. I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. Thanks!

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nothing real special to comment on. A great pede, that is pretty hardy! I keep mine mostly dry with a large water bowl that I over fill occasionaly. I would get rid of the toilet paper roll and egg crate if you keep it moist because they can cause mold once wet for too long. Have fun and try not to get addicted!LOL I now have over 30 centipedes!

Jonathan.Hui

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nothing real special to comment on. A great pede, that is pretty hardy! I keep mine mostly dry with a large water bowl that I over fill occasionaly. I would get rid of the toilet paper roll and egg crate if you keep it moist because they can cause mold once wet for too long. Have fun and try not to get addicted!LOL I now have over 30 centipedes!

haha I like your last sentence... "try not to get addicted!LOL" :clap:

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why hold back?

If you like them, get more!

There is way worse things out there to become addicted to. :embarrassed:

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know, I held back addiction to dart frogs because they're involved and expensive. I kept down my addiction for roaches because I just have too many of them at this point. I kept back my addiction for scorpions for lack of space. Point being, if I ever live in a place big enough to put stuff wherever I want i'll be screwed!

My plan as of now is to buy more pedes and scorpions until I can bring down my population of roaches, thus freeing up more room for roaches and start the cycle over again. Anyone see flaws? i dont {D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey guys. I just bought an S. heros yesterday at a reptile show. It's my first chilopod. It's name is mephistopheles.

I've got it set up on moist (not soaking wet) coco fiber with some fake shrubbery, a fourth of an egg carton dug into the dirt, and a flattened toilet paper roll. I breed both dubia and lateralis (i.e. roaches) which I plan on feeding him/her/it.

My question is: Is there anything weird about the species I should know? anything ive missed, care wise? I know I could spend a long time on the web searching--and i will soon--but this is faster and i'm a bit busy with other things. I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. Thanks!
other than that they live in hot dry places?

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know I sound like an idiot, however...apparently after closer inspection their were a few inconsistencies in the size of the grating of the lid I bought in my new pede's tank. he got out and i'm incredibly bummed and pissed by it. Nothing has ever escaped from me before. Lessen learned--never take it on faith that your equipment was made well.

more to the point. I live in ohio. Do you think the pede will survive until winter? also, what do you guys use for a lid? and are your tanks set up so that the centipede can reach the lid? :wall: :wall: :wall:

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have mine in medium sized exo terra breeder boxes that have secure snap lids. I also keep a few in one gallon plastic jars from Wal-Mart with holes drilled in them. As far as security you can't go wrong with the jar. I lay my jars flat so it has about an 11inch length. Another safe bet is to simply use a smooth surface tank that the pede can't climb that is taller than the pede is long. Hope that helps some. Sorry for the escape.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have mine in medium sized exo terra breeder boxes that have secure snap lids. I also keep a few in one gallon plastic jars from Wal-Mart with holes drilled in them. As far as security you can't go wrong with the jar. I lay my jars flat so it has about an 11inch length. Another safe bet is to simply use a smooth surface tank that the pede can't climb that is taller than the pede is long. Hope that helps some. Sorry for the escape.
ok, now I was told not to keep the thing in a critter carrier type enclosure by the people who sold it to me because when it gets bigger it'll be able to snap the plastic grating and get out. Is that not true?

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The breeder boxes have a tighter fitting lis than my critter keepers and so far I have had no issues.