help me choose my pede

palehorse78

Arachnopeon
I am just looking for you guys opinion I know pedes like cichlids can be hit or miss as far as attiude goes, but what's you guy opinion on a active ferocious pede.I have had a heros castinepes and it was fun I am leaning toward the subsnipes now.tks marcus

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
go for subspinipes, they are definitely the opposite in attitude.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
someone correct me if i am wrong, but malaysian giant, "cherry red," vietnamese giant, chinese giant are all S. de haani
it just all about the color.

I have some chinese giant and vietnamese orange legged CB babies, if you're interested.

palehorse78

Arachnopeon
So in other words I can't go wrong as long as I get a subsnipes.what's about the subsnipes subinpes.they seem to have more girth. Sorry I am looking for something around 7 inches at least

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are prettier or more colorful subspinipes out there that a lot people like to get their hands on, but those are hard to come by.

but if aggressiveness and attitude is what you're looking for, then i would go with a subspinipes.

I have some Alipes grandidieri and Scolopendra mutilans too, but they aren't fast, aggressive, and big as S. subspinipes. Alipes are 4"-5" max and S. mutilan max at 7" i think.

S. heros can get big, but they are on the docile side.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im sure mutilans get to 8".
ive seen pics of 10 inchers on this forum.
but theyre just plain skittish,not aggressive.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The S.Alternans from florida is a great pede for first timers.It was my first
pede because I caught it myself.Thay are big,fat and easy to keep.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry my mistake.New or old timer.It's still a great pede and it's my favorite of all S.Alternans

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have some Alipes grandidieri and Scolopendra mutilans too, but they aren't fast, aggressive, and big as S. subspinipes. Alipes are 4"-5" max and S. mutilan max at 7" i think.
Mutilans are a subspecies of Scolopendra subspinipes; hence S. subspinipes mutilans. They are not separate species.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im sure mutilans get to 8".
ive seen pics of 10 inchers on this forum.
Those are exceptional specimens - probably genetic anomalies. In fact, I don't think they are mutilans at all.

I have seen and kept dozens of S. subspinipes mutilans, and the largest I have seen was under 6". I also had a 4" female lay eggs. Those 3-4" ones at the fish stores are already adult.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Malaysian Giant is on crack when I put food in the tank! It is 8 inches right now and has the most girth of any pede I own. Kenthebugguy.com has some right now.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mutilans are a subspecies of Scolopendra subspinipes; hence S. subspinipes mutilans. They are not separate species.
right, but palehorse78 was asking which centipede is aggressive and come with a bad attitude and I said de haani (as in S. subspinipes de haani).

when i said subspinipes earlier, i meant to say subspinipes de haani. i know that S. mutilans is also a subspinipes,

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
right, but palehorse78 was asking which centipede is aggressive and come with a bad attitude and I said de haani (as in S. subspinipes de haani).

when i said subspinipes earlier, i meant to say subspinipes de haani. i know that S. mutilans is also a subspinipes,
Then sorry if I offended you. :) :drool: :clap: :cool: :} ;) :razz:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then sorry if I offended you. :) :drool: :clap: :cool: :} ;) :razz:
no, i didn't feel offended, i just want to clarify that i made a mistake and thanks for pointing it out. it's all good.

cheers:)

palehorse78

Arachnopeon
Ok I have an orange leg de haani on the way. I purchased from todd gearheart.any care tips you guy want to give me thanks I also have a ten gallon tank its going into. What do I need as far as substrate ? Will I need a heater?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok I have an orange leg de haani on the way. I purchased from todd gearheart.any care tips you guy want to give me thanks I also have a ten gallon tank its going into. What do I need as far as substrate ? Will I need a heater?
Use the same stuff you use for your tarantulas - peat moss, cocofibre, etc.

I personally use a peat moss + cocofibre combination, plus a small amount of sand.