Q's about assassin bugs.

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been thinking about getting into assassin bugs recently and I have a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to.

How well do they climb glass? plastic? silicone caulking?
Lifespan?
Why do so few stores offer them?

If someone could answer these Q's it would be much appreciated, I just wnat to know what i would be getting into.

biznacho

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
How well do they climb glass?
-> good,... they can surely climb glass

plastic?
-> same here

silicone caulking?
-> don't know what that is,...but again,... yes :)
they can easily climb any surface in my opinion,....

Lifespan?
-> about 1.5 to 2 years if adultness is reached

Why do so few stores offer them?
-> i've never seen them beeing sold in stores,...
but i guess you should find some hobbyist that have them here on this board ;)

greetz

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, so I guess a secure lid is in order then.
silicone caulk is the stuff in the corners of aquariums that helps hold the glass together and makes the edges water proof.

biznacho

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
when i was removing the assassins from the plastic container in which they came in, they looked like they had a difficult time climbing the sides, they kept slipping

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i've kept mine in glass containers and today i keep them in a plastic container,.... at both set-ups i've seen them on the sides of the tank,....
did you use a freshly, new bought critterkeeper when you put them in? maybe that's what made them slippery.

greetz

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by gongyles
i've kept mine in glass containers and today i keep them in a plastic container,.... at both set-ups i've seen them on the sides of the tank,....
did you use a freshly, new bought critterkeeper when you put them in? maybe that's what made them slippery.

greetz
na, it was actually dirty. art sent the pair in an old fluker's crix feed bottle. the bottle was on its side, so maybe the curve affected it?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
mmm,...:?
maybe my surfaces are'nt that smooth or so,...
strange???? some other assassin keepers can share their opinion?

assassins can become 3-4cm,... mmm that's about an inch and something?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never had any luck keeping assassins alive and it's frustrating because they're among my favorite insects.

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, they do climb smooth surfaces..even upside down.

I see my red spotted assassin bugs often hang upside down against the lid. The other species, white spotted, can do the same thing :)
I keep mine in a glass tank, with a plastic lid.

@galeogirl: They aren't actually hard to keep.
In the beginning I had 2 females that died in one week, for an unknown reason :(
But now things are looking just fine...they feed well, they are laying eggs every single day... :)

I keep the substrate a little moist, a stable temperature (about 25° C ) and lots of hiding places.

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by chuck
do they need water bowls?
No.
They 'll have fluid enough when they suck their pray out.

I know, there are caresheets on the net that say that you have to place a waterbowl in the tank, but i.m.o that's not necessary.

I took the test, and placed in each tank a small waterdish, but I 've never seen them drink of it. Only the crix used it as a drinking spot :)