PDA

View Full Version : over feeding?

silkenbullet
07-28-2009, 06:12 AM
hi i have a b.smithi and it has been eating 2 medium locust a day since it molted a few weeks ago but i have read on the internet that you should only feed them once a week and they will not eat unless hungry this is my first spider so im abit of a novice was just wondering if this is normal feeding behaviour after a shed.

kovsejr
07-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Brachypelmas are usually very good eaters..I have a ~5'' female B. smithi, and i'm feeding her once every 5 days, but belive me, she would eat every single day if i would threw in a cricket. Over feeding is not recommended, because if you do so, it could reject food for months...Just feed her every week and she'll be just fine.

gvfarns
07-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah, when considering how much you feed you have to take a long time horizon. Do you feed a lot per year? If you have been feeding more than the recommended amount for a few months or so, it's no big deal at all. But yeah, in my experience overfeeding simply leads to long periods of fasting. Or a really big abdomen, depending on the spider.

silkenbullet
07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
cheers guy's just wanted to make sure i shall leave for a week:D

spiderfield
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Keep in mind, though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy T fasting. It is normal and can simply mean that your T is not hungry. A lot of keepers (myself included) don't go by a set schedule, but rather judge by how big their opisthosoma's get. If your T looks overfed, then cut back a bit.