Nube question: What do you guys keep your pedes in?

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I bought my first centipede a couple weeks ago, it was a Scolopendra heros castaneiceps and I was SOOO pumped to get it. My other animals I feel just arent as blindingly impressive. The women that sold it to me told me not to put it in a critter carrier because when it gets a bit bigger it would be able to snap the plastic grating. It was 3 inches at the time I got it. I bought a 2.5 gallon aquarium and a metal grated lid and clamps to hold it on. Apparently there was an inconsistency in the size of the grating and the thing escaped. I was bummed for days.

So! the question is, what do you guys keep your pedes in so I can do things differently next time? I cant explain in words how pissed off I was at myself for allowing it to escape. Thanks in advance.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i keep my 6" S subspinipes in a tall rubbermaid jar with a screw top lid and i drilled holes foe ventilation. it seems content to me.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
almost exactly but mine doesn't have the pop top lid-it screws off(got it at walmart for $4 or so:D )

german shepard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats and welcome to the pede club!

Welcome to addicting centipede club! In other words, no-one interested in them can stop at one!!!!!
Check-out my profile and you'll see/notice I have a nice collection thus far. Most of my smaller centipedes (3"-6") are kept in Kritter Kontainers. To this day I have experienced no problems. My larger pedes (7"-10") are in 10-20 gallon aquariums. The object here is to make sure the depth is at least twice their body length. Another thing to keep in mind, besides a water source is that anything in there, IE: water bowl/dish, rocks, cork bark etc... make sure that they are located away from the edges. This is another extra couple/few inches to their respective reaches. They can balance on these items and a 7" centipede now becomes a 10" plus monster. Again welcome to the club, if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. There are alot of knowledgable people here on the AB,
Good Luck, Marty

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to addicting centipede club! In other words, no-one interested in them can stop at one!!!!!
Check-out my profile and you'll see/notice I have a nice collection thus far. Most of my smaller centipedes (3"-6") are kept in Kritter Kontainers. To this day I have experienced no problems. My larger pedes (7"-10") are in 10-20 gallon aquariums. The object here is to make sure the depth is at least twice their body length. Another thing to keep in mind, besides a water source is that anything in there, IE: water bowl/dish, rocks, cork bark etc... make sure that they are located away from the edges. This is another extra couple/few inches to their respective reaches. They can balance on these items and a 7" centipede now becomes a 10" plus monster. Again welcome to the club, if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. There are alot of knowledgable people here on the AB,
Good Luck, Marty
that was my big mistake. the aquarium is twice it's body size but i put fake foliage in there to make it pretty and I had noticed it climbing upside down on the lid, which ive seen my scorpion do. Should have known, but hind sight is always 20/20 isnt it? Thanks everyone for the advice and greatings. I'll probably go with a critter keeper. Aquariums are more than I want to spend and if no one has had probelms why spend more than I half. If it pleases the court i'll just reinvest the money I save in new pedes...;)

Last edited: