S.s Mutilans Habitat

Finntroll86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all, well knowing that this Chinese Red Head hails from obviously China, does anybody know its main habitat? i know they prefer a high humidity(like most pedes) but would they be comfortable at all in a desert terrain?(cholla wood and Sand) with the exception of a higher humidity? or would coco fiber prove the best? I was planning on getting a S. Heros mainly for the cool desert looking terrarium, but being able to have multiple S. s Mutilans in a desert would be much more metal. so my main question is if they would be comfortable(less stressed) in that type of environment, keeping in mind they may be found in or near the Gobi but i dunno. THANKS!

ALSO what substrate depths are preferred for most Scolpendra species? i have given my S. Subspinipes around 3-4 inches of coco fiber, but i see a lot of people only giving scolos around 1-2 inches depth, is that just to keep them from burrowing and staying hidden or just a individual choice?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all, well knowing that this Chinese Red Head hails from obviously China, does anybody know its main habitat? i know they prefer a high humidity(like most pedes) but would they be comfortable at all in a desert terrain?(cholla wood and Sand) with the exception of a higher humidity? or would coco fiber prove the best? I was planning on getting a S. Heros mainly for the cool desert looking terrarium, but being able to have multiple S. s Mutilans in a desert would be much more metal. so my main question is if they would be comfortable(less stressed) in that type of environment, keeping in mind they may be found in or near the Gobi but i dunno. THANKS!

ALSO what substrate depths are preferred for most Scolpendra species? i have given my S. Subspinipes around 3-4 inches of coco fiber, but i see a lot of people only giving scolos around 1-2 inches depth, is that just to keep them from burrowing and staying hidden or just a individual choice?
I have my 5 S. mutilans on 4-5" of coco fiber and they are doing great. they make little burrows under the logs that i provided and i've seen them breed.