LPS Centipede---ID help

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This little pede (about 3") came in the other day and I cannot exactly figure out what it is. It was labeled "Olive Green Centipede". It is I guess sort of an olive color, with faint yellow legs (with a bit of blue) and a bit of orange at the anterior and posterior ends. I am brand new to pedes but from what I could find is it appears to be an Otostigmus species, but that's a beginner's shot in the dark. :eek:

Here's the actual one (it was tough to get good pictures, it is constantly moving and is very fast):

w/o flash

Whatever it is it's pretty neat IMO. Thanks in advance for the help :worship:

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I looked into that species on goog too but didn't see much that looked promising. What makes you so sure and do you have any other pics? Thanks for the quick reply.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah I looked into that species on goog too but didn't see much that looked promising. What makes you so sure and do you have any other pics? Thanks for the quick reply.
Without pictures of key taxonomic features such as spiracles, etc., I can't be absolutely sure, but I am quite sure Rhysida longipes is what you have, based on size and overall looks.

I hope that made sense. :}

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my first thought was Rhysida. not basing on anything other than it looks like one, especially in the terminals. i could be wrong, though

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Without pictures of key taxonomic features such as spiracles, etc., I can't be absolutely sure, but I am quite sure Rhysida longipes is what you have, based on size and overall looks.

I hope that made sense. :}
Do you know what these key morphalogical features are for this species or can point me in the right direction? My camera would not be able to focus on the spiracles, not to mention it would take forever to get the thing to hold still for even a second unless it is buried. I may be able to spot something myself, if of course this species can be externally identified---at least down to genera.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the part where I sit and wait and hope that he eventually chimes in :D

In the meantime I am curious to know what sort of good, accessible centipede literature there is anyway?

Thanks for helping ID the pede.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol. I think a better question is how well can google translate it. I do have a friend that speaks a bit of German, although I'm sure a centipede biology or systematics paper would be out of his league.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hay Cody,
Your hooked.Thats number 2 and counting.I'm going to keep an eye on you.I
want to see how long it takes for you to reach 10.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol. Well Rob I like to keep a lot of things secret but if you watch my profile you will know when I've reached 10. Wait, 10 different species or just 10 pedes in general?

I must admit these beasts are incredible. Absolutely fascinating. I'm sure it will be VERY soon ;)

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

based only on coloration and overall look it could also be a variation of Otostigmus asper, just note it.

Picture one shows a specific taxonomic character that makes it impossible to be Otostigmus - I just wonder why only a few people see it. ;)
So, yes, it's Rhysida sp..

Regarding common availability i would also guess it's R. longipes.
Will try to translate the German description of R. longipes later on. At the moment I don't have access to papers.

BTW: Terminal legs are long and slender in Otostigmus as well - hence it's not a typical taxonomic feature of genus Rhysida.

Regards,
Turgut

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

based only on coloration and overall look it could also be a variation of Otostigmus asper, just note it.

Picture one shows a specific taxonomic character that makes it impossible to be Otostigmus - I just wonder why only a few people see it. ;)
So, yes, it's Rhysida sp..

Regarding common availability i would also guess it's R. longipes.
Will try to translate the German description of R. longipes later on. At the moment I don't have access to papers.

BTW: Terminal legs are long and slender in Otostigmus as well - hence it's not a typical taxonomic feature of genus Rhysida.

Regards,
Turgut
Thank you!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
"Picture one shows a specific taxonomic character that makes it impossible to be Otostigmus - I just wonder why only a few people see it.
So, yes, it's Rhysida sp.."

Oh, Count Peter, please enlighten us as very few have access to a reasonably accurate key. Thanks.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

Draiman must know it. :D

I'm a bit shocked, to be honest. Steven's website is a well-known and fantastically illustrated source for identifying centipedes, a lot of people know it and even some of the "old ones" here should know it way longer than me.

But i guess people don't use his keys - and I ask myself why. :D
Anyway, just take a look on scolopendra.be.

This should answer the genera-question. I will translate the R. longipes species-description and post it this evening.

Regards
Turgut

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
R. longipes
Antenna with usually 18, rarely 17 segments. Paramedian sulci start from tergites 3-7.
Margination starts from tergites 6-16, plain without keels or granulation.
Sternites feature noticably shortened sulci. The first 5-17 legs have 2 tarsal spines.
Coxopleural processes with 2-3 spines each, laterally featuring 1-2 spines, dorsally without spines.
Prefemur of terminal legs with 3 spines ventral-laterally and some more on ventral side.
Basic sulci of coxosternal teeth are arranged in an obtuse or right angle.

R. longipes longipes:

Length 80mm. Coloration rusty yellow to olive-brown. Headplate diffusely punctated. Antenna with 18 segments,
of which 3 basal segments are densely hirsute (the third segment is ventrally haired at the end)
- both antenna reach the 6th tergite. 4+4 coxosternal teeth, the basic sulci almost in right angle, coxosternum with
short median sulcus at the anterior part. Paramedian sulci start from 5th tergite, usually margination starts from
tergite 6 or 7, rarely from 15. Sternites plain, only 2 short paramedian sulci at the anterior part.
21st sternite slightly narrowed and concave at the end. The first 7-12 legs with 2 tarsal spines, the following up to 18 with one, 19th legs
usually with one and rarely without and 20th legs with or without a tarsal spine.
Coxopleural processes long, approximately two times as long as the 21st sternite with 3 spines each, laterally with one and
dorsally without a spine. Prefemur of terminal legs with 3 or 4 ventral-lateral, 1-3 ventral-medial and 2-3 dorsal spines + a prefemoral
process.

Regards,
Turgut

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Aha! Yes, I'd almost forgotten about this website, mostly because when I started collecting, I was under the impression that Scolopendra was the only genera available in the U.S. Thanks for the reminder.