Centipede ID - South Africa

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hello,
this centipede is 16-17cm, and wild caught in northeastern South Africa.
I've had it for a year, and now all of a sudden i noticed that it has a clutch of eggs, so i'm very motivated to find out what it is!

any help is appreciated.
-=ICM=-

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the 2nd tergite overlaps the head (as far as I can tell)...
perhaps that's a morphological trait? *shrug*

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup,that's what it is,i have 1 aswell had for sometime now it was sold to me as "black form bluering" awesome stocky pedes they are!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats 1 you never showed me before.I want some of the pedelings.Remenber
whos your buddy.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had one, pretty cool. Steven on this site had a really big one with bright solid blue legs, looked different from others I've seen.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are those red dots above the legs the spiracles?? (i see them on segment 3, 5, 7, 8)

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

yes those "dots" are the spiracles - and your speciman features one at the 7th segment & the terminal legs are of normal length, so it's Ethmostigmus.
Outer appearance and also distribution (very common species in Africa) points towards Ethmostigmus trigonopodus.
By the way: There is no other Ethmostigmus-species occuring in Africa at all.

Regards
Turgut

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, that's very helpful!

I read that max size on these is supposed to be 7" (17-18cm).
The guy I got him from SWEARS he finds ones that are 35-45cm. Taking into account his obvious truth-stretching, do you think that these may reach 20cm+? Any captive kept ones that are that large?

-=ICM=-

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

take this guy as a possibility to gain a lot of money, just bid. And if he looses (that's obvious) he should pay you $1000. ;)

Anyway...I have never seen an E. trigonopodus with 20cm BL, but I remember some hobbyists kept those big ones.

Especially the deep blue ones from Kenia grow quite big and bulky (It's the one on Steven's homepage).

I even don't believe in S. giganteas with 40cm BL (except I see a picture next to a ruler).

Regards
Turgut

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I have one at about 4.5" BL and while "nervous" when removed from its cozy den, it has never attempted biting me while I was handling it. I believe Cacoseraph has a pic of one straddling his nose.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol of course! It's his avatar on SCABIES. It's either that or a "Neon Blue leg" (Scolopendra mirabilis). Anyway one (E. trigonopodus) came in the mail today and therefore I answered my own question. I went ahead and held it (took a video too). It's super mellow compared to my other pedes!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
here is the thing about trigo's.... the blue ones were nothing to get bit by but the yellow ones sucked so bad i got rid of mine. only species that gave my lymphatic swelling... the lymph node in my armpit got so big i couldn't put my arm down all the way

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow that's interesting. Two of the 'same' species with very different venom effects. So that pede on your nose was a Trigo? I thought I read somewhere it was a S. mirabilis "Neon Blue Leg".

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
mmm...lymphatic swelling. it has a sexy ring to it. not to be medically fetishistic, but- any pix of the apple in your armpit? i'm interested to see the physical effects of envenomation on someone who has "taken a few for the team".

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
mmm...lymphatic swelling. it has a sexy ring to it. not to be medically fetishistic, but- any pix of the apple in your armpit? i'm interested to see the physical effects of envenomation on someone who has "taken a few for the team".
no, i suck :/

and i probably will never get bit by that species again. really, i accomplished what i wanted with testing exotic/native centipede venom... i found a few species that seem to have minimal human reactivity. now i am going to do some of the non-theraphosidae mygalomorphs (pretty much just native species)

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Finally got a pic of her without disturbing her (i hope!)

I have no idea how far along these eggs are, i noticed her building a burrow about a month ago, and it was last week that I noticed eggs.