sexing S. subspinipes

lordfriday2

Arachnopeon
just got a vietnamese centipede... any way to tell what sex it is besides wait a few years and see if it lays eggs or not?

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am brand new to this but let's see...

For this species and most others, there is really no way of telling simply by looking at them. However, females are usually longer and thicker, and sometimes have different coloration. Their genitalia are housed within the last segment internally just beneath the terminal legs.

Congrats on the new pede! What "morph" did you get?

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol. Color, pattern, etc. Well it's a Scolopendra subspinipes from vietnam, so I BELIEVE it is a S.s de haani. I think the two most common morphs of that subspecies from nam is the "yellow leg", the other being the "orange leg". I think it goes something like that...anyway back to the point what color form? Got any pics? :)

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
...and sometimes have different coloration. Their genitalia are housed within the last segment internally just beneath the terminal legs.
Hm...Where did you read that with different coloration? Can you give an example in which species you can distinct male from female by coloration?

Regarding genitalia: As far as I know the testes of male centipedes are located in 16/17/18 segment, means: A little bit farther from the terminals.

Regards,
Turgut

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both quoted from Steven's site on "sexing":

Genitals are situated inside the last segment underneath the ultimate legs...Some external differences can be the shape of terminal legs (for example Sc.morsitans males have ridges on the prefemur, femur and tibia) or the pilosity of the ultimate legs (for example male Sc.dalmatica) Other external differences can be a slightly different coloration. Also it's common that females grow bigger and fatter then males.
link: http://www.scolopendra.be/breeding.php

If the coloration difference is true, it must be for only a few species now that I really think about it. :eek:

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

yeah I know that quote, but I basically referred to the question how to distinguish male from female...and both have something under the last tergite that comes out (males: to place spermatophore and females to pick it up) - and it's very hard to distinguish by that "genitals". :)

Nevertheless the testicles and glands are not in the last segment - and this is the primary difference of male and female to be 100% sure.

Anyway: Males should have something like a "web organ" - and is it possible to see it in alive specimen by putting slight pressure on the last segment? And how it looks like? That would be interesting indeed - an issue for Galapoheros. :)

I always asked myself if there is an example of one species having slight coloration differences when it comes to mating issues - maybe with a picture of proven male and female.

Regards
Turgut

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gotcha ;)

So the "pressure on the last segment" actually does reveal organs that would determine gender? I do have a huge sexed female S. subspinipes "Malaysian Giant"...I'm trying to think about how the whole slight pressure on the last segment would work out...she's fairly mellow but she would NOT let me do that...I'll see if I can do it and take a picture...

lordfriday2

Arachnopeon
Lol. Color, pattern, etc. Well it's a Scolopendra subspinipes from vietnam, so I BELIEVE it is a S.s de haani. I think the two most common morphs of that subspecies from nam is the "yellow leg", the other being the "orange leg". I think it goes something like that...anyway back to the point what color form? Got any pics? :)
Hi,

here are some pix... please tell me which kind i got! hopefully it'll get bigger...

Attachments

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That would be the yellow leg morph! Always a neat centipede. I love their size, color, disposition, and not to mention price.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would imagine it hitting between 6 and 8". I believe some make it up to 9 maybe 10". All of the ones we had come into my petshop averaged about 6 or 7". I think with pedes, even same species, the size is pretty variable. One thing is for certain and it's that you have a big bug for sure. :)

Also, you should do a search on google or on this site for "Scolopendra subspinipes de haani" or "Vietnam Centipede" and the like. You should run into information like this, as well as pics of other peoples' specimens.