My first time EVER holding a bug - Video

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi again all. As I mentioned, I am a recovering bug-o-phobe. The last time I tried to pick up my Sofia, I chickened out. I succeeded this time! Incredible!

I know it's nothing for most of you, but for me this was a VERY big deal. So, please don't hate. :)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmzONeBdSl0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmzONeBdSl0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't held either of my tarantulas, I'd like to someday, but I'm one that believes they're best not being handles. Its good that you were able to hold her though :) must have been a great experiance.

on another note you're tank is to tall and has WAY to little substrate in it. There should really only be 1.5x the leg span from the top to the bottom with a teresstrial, if she were to climb the walls and fall she could seriously injure herself. I strongly reccomend you add a lot more substrate in the tank.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ariel is right, there needs to be a lot more substrate in that tank. Any sort of fall for a G. rosea could result in injury. Judging by her size, there should be about 2/3 worth of that tank filled with substrate.

Congratulations on being able to handle her. It's a big step for a
"bug-o-phobe". She's gorgeous, good luck with her.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome and congrats on your first attempt to hold your T,and best of luck with it.I agree with the others about adding more substrate to avoid any injuries to your T from a fall.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol, so assuming you've already read the above posts and jumped to add a nice paddy bed of substrate for your new rosie, I'm just going to say: congrats and welcome to the hobby! a rosie was the first T i ever held too, though I don't actually own any :? and my NAME is rosie. irony... anyway i'm always impressed by how many people starting out are converted arachnophobes- it must be amazing to do something that you never thought you'd be able to do at a earlier time in life. i see the same reactions and shock from my friends when i convince them to let my Ts walk on their hands. i kind of wonder what that sense of accomplishment amounts to, but i was a born arachnophile :D i wanna overcome a fear too! lol

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks all. Yes, I have added more substrate. Also, the substrate I had was too moist. I still need to add more, but I feel a little better about it now. Also, since the substrate is drier, she seems to be happier. She never climbs.

I just watched her web over a cricket that she was done with (I think she's done with it?)

Nak

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fun times! I remember holding my T for the first time. I was all shaky and stuff. Luckily for us our first T's were quite docile. Actually mine didn't want to budge, either while I was trying to coax her into my hand or when I wanted her to get off.

Nice vid. Always great to see a first timer.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome man. I know this isn't a huge deal for some in the hobby but that is really a big thing to someone who has never handled an insect, spider, tarantula, scorpion or what not.

Only reason I haven't developed a phobia like that as I got older was I used to play "Isopod Wedding" when I was a little kid. I built a chapel out of leggos and played with pillbugs. Haha, yeah I was a weird kid.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was lucky enough to have a professional help me the first time I held my very first rosie, after that I was sold and had to have her! Still, the first time holding a T can be a very nervous experience no mater what.. and even after that! lol You definitely get kudos for being able to do it yourself. :)

Only reason I haven't developed a phobia like that as I got older was I used to play "Isopod Wedding" when I was a little kid. I built a chapel out of leggos and played with pillbugs. Haha, yeah I was a weird kid.
This reminds me how when I was in elementary school I walked to school with a friend and we would collect them in our backpacks with some grass, and bring them to school. {D I'm actually surprised I never tried to have an isopod wedding LOL!

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bare Hands

I can't do this with my bare hands! I can with gloves maybe, as time goes by, I will be able too with my bare hands. Good for you.:clap:

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your breakthrough, I had a similar achievement today, but it was holding my P. regalis for the first time. We all have to start somewhere right? :clap:

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hold all my Ts. The rose hair, pink toe, Mexican red knee, and my two Mexican red legs. and my four wild caught Ts that i caught.