Look what I caught last night...

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Do you think she'll construct an ootheca?
She's one of the larger ones I've come across.
john

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's probably already made one or two, but she's probably got a few in her still. I think they make on average around six, I had one that made eight. Feed her heavily between oothecas.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
is that one of those Chinese mantis that were imported in your country or is it a native one?

really like that green striped back,.... nice :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's the Chinese. The brown form always green edge on the wings. Well, the green form has it too but then the rest of the mantid is also green :)

Wade

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome............

Nice pic. Lariz.:) It is interesting how they turn their head and look at you.:)

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
hello-
A friend of mine has brought two over in the last few weeks. One is either going for a molt or dying. We are not so sure. It is hanging still, and although well feed up untill it refused food, it is very skinny. It did have a severly damaged eye when she brought it over. It seems very weak and hardpressed to move. It and the other which is much more healthy are freerange on our houseplants. They are both quite large and I belive the second one (not the one in question here) is going to lay eggs soon. Shes quite plump.
anyhow heres the tuff choice ... feed the appearent near death one or wait out to see if its in a molting state. I have never kept mantids before these two and the #9 I picked up at a show. none of which have molted yet.
to feed or no to feed?

looseyfur.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is fully winged, it is mature and will not molt again.

Sometimes, immature mantids that have been over fed have been known to have molting problems, but I don't know how common this is.

Wade