New to centipedes, ID help, NO PIC!

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I haven't gotten anything yet.

but the centipede in question is roughly 6-7" in length with relatively wide body segments.

the legs are a yellow color, body segments are muddy/brownish, with the first 2 (head and first segment) red in color, and the last 2 red in color.

This is going to be a commonly imported species seen in petshops (this is a local pet shop supplied from possibly Outback Reptile in Northern Virginia)

Any ideas on what this could be or what features i could look for to tell what it may be so that i can know more about it before any purchases are made. i would hate to mis-id this as mutilans and end up with 1 very fat non communal scorpion! (lol)

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I work at a pet shop here in CA and the only big scolos we get are the "Vietnam Orange Leg" and "Vietnam Yellow Leg" (Both I think are Scolopendra subspinipes de haani)

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do a google image search and look up "Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans" as well as S.s.de haani. You should be able to find something that looks like the pede and get a good idea.

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Need pictures to really say but from your description it sounds to me like a Scolopendra subspinipes "de haani" vietnamese sp. yellow leg.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol yeah, need pics REAL bad. "commonly imported", that would leave out heros I think, I'm still thinking mutilans so far. Where'd he go?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm still thinking mutilans so far.
No way.

but the centipede in question is roughly 6-7" in length with relatively wide body segments.

the legs are a yellow color, body segments are muddy/brownish, with the first 2 (head and first segment) red in color, and the last 2 red in color.
S. subspinipes mutilans average 4-5" in total length, and are very slender in comparison to other Scolopendra species. Their body is a very dark greenish-black, not muddy or brown.

The OP's description of the animal screams S. subspinipes dehaani.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
appreciated!

i'm off on monday and will take a good gander with the info provided. They're very inexpensive and i'm hunkering for a new beast of some sort.
if i do decide i'll get some pics and figure it out for sure

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No way.

S. subspinipes mutilans average 4-5" in total length, and are very slender in comparison to other Scolopendra species. Their body is a very dark greenish-black, not muddy or brown.

The OP's description of the animal screams S. subspinipes dehaani.
Well, you're prob right, I don't get the "red head" thing though. Is it common for some dehaani to have a red head? ...I've only had a few.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, you're prob right, I don't get the "red head" thing though. Is it common for some dehaani to have a red head? ...I've only had a few.
Dehaani do have red heads.

What the OP said about the pede's length and girth, plus the "muddy" body color and the fact he found it at a local pet shop (mutilans are much more uncommon) - all strongly point to S. subspinipes dehaani.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is more red than the rest of the body on most, never really paid attention to it before, ...yeah, read the other stuff.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Galapoheros, I apologise if I sounded harsh. Upon re-reading the two posts of mine above, I think they might have annoyed some.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey no problem!, it's the world wide web, we can only type so it's hard to read emotion. One time a person on here that I have met in person was clowning around with one of my posts, but I think a moderator saw it as an attack on a member. But they were just kiddin around since they know me, I heard about later..haha, I didn't know what was going on.

Last edited: