Millipedes chirping

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I'm fairly new to collecting Myriapods and, while visiting my parents in Illinois, recently made my second purchase. I bought four Florida Ivory millipedes at the All Animal Expo in Wheaton. They seem very healthy and happy.

About a half an hour ago I was sitting at my computer browsing the web when I heard a distinct trilling noise emanating from my millipedes' enclosure. Unaware that millipedes were capable of making any noise at all, I turned and investigated, assuming that there was a cricket somewhere nearby. Unable to find the alleged cricket, I returned to my computer. A few minutes later I heard the same exact rapid chirping noise from my millipedes. This time I was certain they were the culprits.

I did some searching through the forum for old threads regarding this phenomenon, but only came up with one. Google wasn't all that much help, either.

My question, then, is about the noises millipedes are capable of making. I've heard that millis rarely chirp except to attract mates. I'm curious as to the experience of other collectors. Have you heard this noise? Is it used for mating only, or are there other applications?

I'm just interested as to others' experiences. (Thanks ahead of time for indulging a noob's curiosity :} )

fluffyleopard

Arachnopeon
mating

I also have Florida Ivory millipedes and I have never heard them chirp, or make any noise for that matter. I don't doubt it is possible but I haven't heard mine ever. I have had my adults for about 5 months and they have bred twice in that amount if time. Apparently they don't need to chirp to get each other to mate. I just put on a little Barry White and they go at it. I wouldn't be concerned about the chirping.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I also have Florida Ivory millipedes and I have never heard them chirp, or make any noise for that matter. I don't doubt it is possible but I haven't heard mine ever. I have had my adults for about 5 months and they have bred twice in that amount if time. Apparently they don't need to chirp to get each other to mate. I just put on a little Barry White and they go at it. I wouldn't be concerned about the chirping.
Thanks for the input! They've been quite quiet for the rest of the night. They must have chirped themselves out for the time being {D

revoltkid

Arachnopeon
maybe they were scratching against the glass? i have a ton of millipedes and never heard anything from them lol

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe they were scratching against the glass? i have a ton of millipedes and never heard anything from them lol
Yeah a lot of my bugs do this. They are in plastic tubs and sometimes the tarantulas will try to squeeze their fangs just underneath the lid, my roaches will get stuck under something and run in place (scratching the bottom of the enclosure), etc---all producing a squeeking or I guess "chirping" sound. Are you sure that's not what is going on with your millis?

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
Yeah a lot of my bugs do this. They are in plastic tubs and sometimes the tarantulas will try to squeeze their fangs just underneath the lid, my roaches will get stuck under something and run in place (scratching the bottom of the enclosure), etc---all producing a squeeking or I guess "chirping" sound. Are you sure that's not what is going on with your millis?
That's entirely possible. I haven't heard anything from them since. I'll keep an eye (ear?) out for that.