Millipede Over Breeding

fluffyleopard

Arachnopeon
I am a new millipede keeper and I have been having great success. I own two Florida Ivory millipedes (Chicobolus Spinigerus). They have been very healthy and happy. Apparently I set an awesome mood for them and they have bred twice now. I first found baby millipedes on July 16, 2009 and then again August 17, 2009. I have seperated the adults into another tank.

I just wanted to let people know what my millipedes do when they breed and lay eggs so other people don't get caught off guard when they see little white things crawling around in their tank.

My adults BOTH will go underground and will not surface for about a week or so. My female makes a small burrow under one of the logs in the tank and doesn't leave unless disturbed by me. So if you haven't seen your millipedes out and about for a week or so, don't be so alarmed.

Pillipede

Arachnopeon
I am in the exact same situation with two Ivorys. One of them has not surfaced for a long period of time, and was just wondering why. :clap:

fluffyleopard

Arachnopeon
I am in the exact same situation with two Ivorys. One of them has not surfaced for a long period of time, and was just wondering why. :clap:
Don't go looking for them then. You could end up hurting or stressing the adults out a lot. I would just wait and see what happens. I had no idea that I had a male and female in my tank so I wasn't ever sure if they would breed. I still don't know which one is the male but I seperated the adults to be safe. I suggest that you don't go probing the dirt until at least it's been 1.5 weeks since you have last seen the missing adult. I still think it's funny that both of my adults disappear when breeding. :? {D