another molted pede

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just another pede after a molt, ...Scolopendra heros heros. It's always nice to look at a pic so...

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pretty! I wish I could have a pede, centipede, millipede, I don't care i just want one!!!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Sigh...my heart goes pitter patter every time you post a pic of your S. heros, esp. the yellow heads. Is it wrong to love a 'pede...platonically, I mean?

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Always love a good molting thread! Especially of the heros variety! :clap: :drool:

And hey, did that old exo have some mycosis on it? I'm seeing some black spots there. ;)

Just curious, what temp are is the room you're keeping your 'pedes in? I know this 'pede is freshly molted so it's a little paler than usual, but I'm wondering if there's a correlation between color and temperature, especially with 'pedes that are undergoing a molt.

I don't have air conditioning, and even with the blinds down it still gets 28°C - 30°C in here, and both my sc. galapagoensis and sc. heros darkened up after molting. :?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What? ..mycosis, noooo maaaaaaann, ...no, ..no, that was dirt. Yeah it did have a little at some joints. My pedes have always darkened up to normal looking in around 3 days. I don't have AC in that room either and I think it's been getting too hot in there. I've been cooling it down in there more. CodeWilster I think it's around 4 inches, I have several I've been raising from babies, they are 2 years old now, ...want to put them in something bigger, still looking around. Here's a pic of them.

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh man... look at them all! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Shame they're not communal... actually? have you ever tried? if they're still young I mean... LOTS of hiding places? one big tank? who knows? we've seen large subspinipes housed together, and who can forget Steven's box o' giganteas? ;)

Mine is about the same size, in your experience, at this age do they molt more than once a year?

PS: how are the halloween babes doing? :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nahh, seen too many scuffles to try a communal setup. Yeah I see young ones molt 2 or 3 times in the Spring and Summer. I also have some adult castaneiceps that are three years old that molted twice this warm season. One of the arizonensis molted twice with not much time between molts, and not much growth either, it was the male. I thought it was kind of weird that it molted so soon after the first, seemed like a month:confused: I took a couple of pics of those other pedes, guess I'll dig up that old thing and post pics there, ..just bigger basically.