Does anybody bread these centipedes?

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a noob to pedes, but I keep being told that nobody bothers with breeding them; that vendors always import them. As a policy I dont buy wild caught species so I wanted to see if any knew a place that bread any of these species. Those being Trachymorcephalus sp (neon blue legs), Scolopendra heros c. (I assume someone breeds these), or an Alipes sp.

Thanks!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm a noob to pedes, but I keep being told that nobody bothers with breeding them; that vendors always import them. As a policy I dont buy wild caught species so I wanted to see if any knew a place that bread any of these species. Those being Trachymorcephalus sp (neon blue legs), Scolopendra heros c. (I assume someone breeds these), or an Alipes sp.

Thanks!
I think there are quite a few(within the relatively small world of 'pede lovers) people making attempts at breeding, with varying levels of success. IMO, the knowledge regarding 'pede breeding pales in comparison to what is known about T's. Those 3 species are quite sought after, but only S. heros is available in numbers substantial enough for breeding here in the states. Don't know specifically about Europe & elsewhere. The average hobbyist can't afford a breeding group & is reluctant to risk their minimal stock on a botched attempt. I've personally attempted breeding S. subspinipes, but only because I got a good deal on a group. I would be much more wary w/ some of the others I have because of replacement costs.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think there are quite a few(within the relatively small world of 'pede lovers) people making attempts at breeding, with varying levels of success. IMO, the knowledge regarding 'pede breeding pales in comparison to what is known about T's. Those 3 species are quite sought after, but only S. heros is available in numbers substantial enough for breeding here in the states. Don't know specifically about Europe & elsewhere. The average hobbyist can't afford a breeding group & is reluctant to risk their minimal stock on a botched attempt. I've personally attempted breeding S. subspinipes, but only because I got a good deal on a group. I would be much more wary w/ some of the others I have because of replacement costs.
I guess. Why are pedes the neglected, but better looking ;), step cousin to T's and scorpions? You're probably right though. But someone should do it! i'm poor and in college and therefore dont count.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not clip the fangs then they cant kill each other? If I wanted to breed pedes i'd probably go that route, only way to be sure without losing stock.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Please post pix when you are successful clipping fangs;)

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got some wc red leg mutilans with clipped fangs but they came that way lol. I dont have any number of anything thats large enough to be mature yet but i'll try it when the time comes if the pedes cant be sexed.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw a lot of breeding this Spring and Summer with my heros pedes but I never saw any eggs from it, ...maybe next year. They aren't as easy to sell as you might think, I don't think demand is real high. Whenever I've put some up for sale, I wait longer than I expect to.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw a lot of breeding this Spring and Summer with my heros pedes but I never saw any eggs from it, ...maybe next year. They aren't as easy to sell as you might think, I don't think demand is real high. Whenever I've put some up for sale, I wait longer than I expect to.
that really surprises me. uh...ill buy them. if I dont already have a few.

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another problem (with most species) is they are difficult to sex. Therefore, getting a pair in the first place is very difficult. And I don't understand why you guys are saying the "cost" of them makes them difficult to form breeding groups. I guess you are right considering the smaller demand for them and nobody wanting to pay that much for one or two (that could easily kill eachother), but in comparison to a lot of Ts that I see they are not too much more expensive (Especially some of the common Scolos. My adult S.s de haani were like 20 bucks a piece). I currently have a few groups I hope to breed, including S.s dehaani orange and yellow legs, as well as a few A. chilensis. I've put them together but they are very very aggressive toward eachother. I often wonder what the availability of the genders are as well (male heavy, female heavy, 50/50, etc) although with no reliable sexing method that seems out of question, in that case I do not know what a proper sized breeding group would be either...

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have pedelings from S. heros var. castaneiceps from last year and also A. grandidieri ssp. and Alipes crotalus....

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The S. heros was an wild captured female that laid eggs, the Alipes sp. and some other species were mated.

skips

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The S. heros was an wild captured female that laid eggs, the Alipes sp. and some other species were mated.
Why do you have to live in germany?! I feel like that shipping fee would be monstrous and live delivery is never guaranteed from what I here.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Another problem (with most species) is they are difficult to sex. Therefore, getting a pair in the first place is very difficult. And I don't understand why you guys are saying the "cost" of them makes them difficult to form breeding groups. I guess you are right considering the smaller demand for them and nobody wanting to pay that much for one or two (that could easily kill eachother), but in comparison to a lot of Ts that I see they are not too much more expensive (Especially some of the common Scolos. My adult S.s de haani were like 20 bucks a piece). I currently have a few groups I hope to breed, including S.s dehaani orange and yellow legs, as well as a few A. chilensis. I've put them together but they are very very aggressive toward eachother. I often wonder what the availability of the genders are as well (male heavy, female heavy, 50/50, etc) although with no reliable sexing method that seems out of question, in that case I do not know what a proper sized breeding group would be either...
Nobody is going to put out much effort to breed species that are readily available via WC import, unfortunately. Hopefully, export doesn't get shut down before these become widespread in the hobby. Breaking even after your initial investment in a breeding group is much easier w/ T's because of their popularity(unless it's something prolific like LP's or B. vagans).

Did you find the A. chilensis to be aggressive toward one another? That is the most docile species I've kept.

I agree on the sexes. I don't think size is very reliable in sexing, despite folks with access to imports saying otherwise. There are just too many variables with size, coloration, etc. Maybe if we had more visual examples of dissected molts via the "Doom method" from verified sexes? More swapping of specimens to enhance possibility of success? Obliteration of the myths surrounding 'pedes that is still prevalent amongst other invert owners?

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nobody is going to put out much effort to breed species that are readily available via WC import, unfortunately...
True for most species, but I'm sure for S. gigantea or S. "Malaysian Jewel", etc it would be a different story. I just missed the last import but once they are available again (IF they are anytime soon!) then I hope to get enough to hopefully have at least one pair.

Did you find the A. chilensis to be aggressive toward one another? That is the most docile species I've kept.
Docile? Mine bite me every single time lol. I think they think my hand is substrate to dig in. Anyway I am sure you didn't mean in relation to handling so yeah they never really tried to attack eachother but every time one ran into the other they would both immediately turn around and run the other way (they were in a round tub and so I watched this several times lol) I have three adult specimens. Two are very large and the other is quite a bit smaller but is also adult. 'He's' missing both antenna though. I am going to try to acquire a few more specimens and continue trying on the occasion. Once I think I have opposite genders I'll try my luck at cohabing a couple.

I agree on the sexes. I don't think size is very reliable in sexing, despite folks with access to imports saying otherwise. There are just too many variables with size, coloration, etc. Maybe if we had more visual examples of dissected molts via the "Doom method" from verified sexes? More swapping of specimens to enhance possibility of success? Obliteration of the myths surrounding 'pedes that is still prevalent amongst other invert owners?
I am very interested in this. There are I think a few threads that say they have the answer with that method but that's all there is and no apparent answer is revealed that at least I can see. I am acquiring a microscope very soon (Celestron Professional Compound 1500x and the digital camera accessory). Hopefully I can find some neat stuff and take good pics to share. Now it's just a matter of knowing what to look for (and for what species) and of course catching a pede during a molt!!! I know S. morsitans are distinguishible via the terminals and thus I'll have to try the doom method with them and see what is consistent with males and what is with females. It may not relate to S. subspinipes or others but it may help in getting an idea what to look for, and at least some experience...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also, as far as price goes for US natives, I have seen adult heros pedes go for over $100, usually for adult heros arizonensis. It's as though there's a small group of people that REALLY like them and will pay the price, but then demand goes down real fast.