ok it touched my foot.

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So Im staying in San Jose Costa Rica, Coronado to be specific, Id tell you where but its had to tell you exactly as these folks dont really use street signs or even addresses.

I love it here, I came to visit and decided to stay for a while.

This morning I went to put on my slipper and I felt a little movment, took off said slipper, looked at it and then my foot and what do you know, a baby centipede was crawling on my big toe. I love bugs of all shapes and sizes, I like itwhen a select few crawl on me, however these guys......bit of a diffrentstory.... Its diffrent when you dont invite them..... way diffrent. This aint Michigan here folks.... Luckily he/she decided not tobite me so to show my gratitude I decided to feed it all the bite size morsals it can eat, and it was hungry. Dont know what kindof small bugs met there end in the new home of my little friend but I feel we both appriciate the company of one another as mad evident bythe fact she/he didntgive me a really bad day by bitting me.
I will try to get a photo of my new little buddy for identification, any guesses? Its red, about three inches long, and Im guessing from the look its a scolapendra.... Im told I can also find cy. fasciatums,aphonopelma seemani and what I expect is a brachy species whos name escapes me,at least this is whjat some locals have desribed to me got any other spec´s worth lookingfor?
...please forgivethe spellingIm payingfor this by thehour in an internet cafe so I aint doing the spell check thing and this god forsaken peiceofcrap space bar is driving me nuts.
Really glad this post wasntin the bite forum, will be backwithphotos but it kinda lookslike this..http://images.google.co.cr/imgres?i...&sa=N&start=20&um=1&ei=8mGUSu2IOeHFmQfY7OStAQ

-Ian

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Coronado? That's closer to the Panamanian border than to San Jose. Anyhoo- red is a very common color in centipede fashion this season. The pic you linked to is a Lithiobiomorpha sp., your friendly, neighborhood stone centipede. 3 in. seems a little large for this genus, although you are in a tropical environment.

As far as other interesting species, take your pick: Costa Rica has an estimated 4% of the world's biodiversity.

An please, please: post pix of your findings:D