Do Rollie Pollies (sow bugs) make for a good cleaning crew in a pede's enclosure?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So it's time to get some isopods in my pede tanks for the cleaning crew. I see a lot of different posts/pics that have the iso's present, and I've been wondering what kind they are?

I've got a ton of rollie pollies (sow bugs I believe) that inhabit my front door step (litterally hundreds) and was wondering if I could just snag a group of them? I know they haven't been exposed to any pesticides so that isn't a problem. Would these guys work for the job that I'm thinking of giving them?

Also, all my pedes are kept in 10 Gallon tanks, would a group of 15 - 20 pollies in each tank be sufficient?

Thanks a bunch folks!

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It does matter, Wood lice like to break down wood, I would use the more rounded "pill bugs". The only problem is parasites, I would collect the wild rolly pollys and keep them in a plastic butter container with substrate for a minimum of 2 weeks before exposing them to your pedes.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my "wood lice" eat anything that is rotting....not just wood. i curently have a culture of hundreds that i have raised on just cricket parts.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
my "wood lice" eat anything that is rotting....not just wood. i curently have a culture of hundreds that i have raised on just cricket parts.
I agree- both are detrivores & will eat anything in a state of decomposition. IMO, the flatter of the two(the kind that doesn't roll into a ball) breed faster & are much more useful to a large collection because of it. My army will often eat along side the 'pede if pieces of roach have been separated from the dead husk. During a molt, the 'pedes tank mates will wait nearby for the 'pede to stop wriggling out of its molt before taking refuge underneath the shed exo & presumably(no microscope) having a snack.