Insect ID (lrg pic)

Tiberious

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I keep snakes. Boas to be exact. I had an old sloughed skin, and as I was examining it, I found the below pictured insect inside of the skin. The shed was not fresh, more like 3+ weeks old. If anyone can tell me what it is, and if it could be related to my snakes in some manner, I would greatly appreciate it. (someone from my snake site recommended that I try to obtain an id here.)

Cheers!

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think thats a kind of beetle larvae that I see hanging inside our cricket bins at work and mine at home.

if it is, its harmless. I believe someone said you can even feed them and their beetle form to tarantulas.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks like the larvae of a dermestid beetle. They feed on dry skin and tissue, usually of dead animals but the shed snake skin was probably equally appealing.

Museums often use them to clean bones, but they can destroy dried insect collections. They also turn up quite often in cricket boxes.

Wade

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
whoo-whoo
I agree with wAde. (no surpirse there its kinda hard to disagree with someone whos as knowledgeable)

I remember doing a project with them in highschool.

heh I would love to keep a culture of them. they are quite intresting.

loosey

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Ti...what'd I tell you? These people know their poop. ;)

Bry

Tiberious

Arachnopeon
Thanks all. I would have cropped, but my photo prog took a dump, and wont work anymore. Off to find a new one that will work for a change.

Well I am glad that this little guy wont cause problems for my animals. I really do appreciate your input, and Bry, thanks again!

Ti

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
quite an old post this is.....
but I just fed some of these to my assasin bugs and there where taken without problems!

Those assasins never say no to anything!

And as you might have guess, the feeders where found in a cricket box.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
quite an old post this is.....
but I just fed some of these to my assasin bugs and there where taken without problems!
Those assasins never say no to anything!
cute little gangsta's aren't they ;)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Wade hit it on the nail! I have a whole colony of dermestids..BOY howdy to they stink!! I use them to clean skulls. Have to keep them in the garage! ugh.
Tiberious--careful of having those bugs in your house!! if you have any form or sort of taxidermy dermestids will DESTROY THEM! Beyond Repair!!! If not..well dont worry.